Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

burning mp3s for audio hi-fi use

• Please log in to reply

tonyboy9

tonyboy9

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, i would like to burn CDs that can hold hours of music on one disc! I have a nero burner and have used it in Audio CD when burning 80 minutes to a CD but if I burn an MP3 disc so that i can record lots more on one disc will i be able to play it on my CD player? it doesn't have an mp3 playing function on it. If not, is it only possible to hear more than 80 minutes on a disc if i get a CD player that plays mp3s in mp3 format?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most audio hi-fi cd players won't play mp3 CD

You could get a DVD player which will play mp3 CD and hook that up to the hi-fi

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The problem is this:
Compact format is mp3, which gives you lesser quality for being able to put alot on one CD.
Normal CD music format is wav, which is better quality for being more to it.

Now, you can convert mp3 to wav, and viceversa by using something like a program such as winamp but you can't escape the two problems of the normal cd player only playing wav format and wav format taking up all the space in the cd.

Honestly I suggest waiting for three reasons:

!) the time and price of burning all you mp3 into wav probably adds up a small mp3 player(which are coming down in price anyway and which give you more options such as music order and choice)
2) the lot of players are now becoming capable of reading both formats,
3)I am not sure if even if one converts mp3 into wav one actually gets the original wav quality.

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Not sure, but isn't that kind of illegal? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not if you allready own the music i have lots of CDs i turned into mp3 to listen on my mp3 cd walkman. Most new half decent hi fis let you listen to mp3 cds and if the bit rate is over 256kbps its hard to notice any difference at all when you play it.