Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with sound

• Please log in to reply

Kookido

Kookido

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I start up PC and it eventually gets going, it decides to come up with an error message concerning Win32 services. I get more info and I get this:

C:\DOCUME~1\Kookido\LOCALS~1\Temp\5531_appcompat.txt

This seems to always be involved. When I try to play an MP3 using WMP all the tracks get a red apostraphy. It then says that their may be a problem with my sound card or something else may be using it. But there is nothing wrong with my sound card.

When I go to shut down the pc it plays the shut down jungle, just to further annoy me.

Please can you help, I have also had a history of viruses and spyware destroyed by your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type %TEMP% then press enter, delete all the files it will allow

Click start then search, include hidden and system files then type prefetch and press enter. Open the folder, press edit then select all, right click any file then press delete, confirm delete

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

Check the soundcard manufacturers site for updated drivers