Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password in Connection Settings keeps changing

• Please log in to reply

radotage

radotage

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
since I have installed home wireless router with a broadband connection shared by three computers the password and domain address in Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings keeps changing by itself.

The domain address often disappears altogether and the password is much longer than the one I set. Sometimes this prevents me from logging on and I have to keep resetting it manually.

It appears to be a glitch, as the same problem occurs on all three PCs (all running XP Pro; the wireless router is Netgear, the ISP is AOL).

Many thanks for any suggestions how to eradicate this irritating problem.

RADOTAGE

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You don't say which version Windows, but I know Win 98 was always forgetting connection passwords unless you set a password for Windows log-on. Try doing that, then reboot, log-on, set up your connection password and domain address and they should stay set. Oh, and don't be fooled into thinking the password must be wrong because there are too many asterisks -- this is done deliberately by Windows to make it even harder for nosey people to guess what it is when it's set to 'remember password'.