Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD and DVD drives not showing up in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

paulisme

paulisme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently, I needed to get some files off of a hard drive from an old computer. I installed the drive by unplugging my IDE CD and DVD drives, then using that IDE cable to plug in my old hard drive. I got the files off the old hard drive successfully, then plugged my CD and DVD drives back in. Now when I boot up my computer, the drives sometimes show up in My Computer, then disappear, and other times they don't show up at all. On the times they do show up, I've tried copying files from a CD, only to have Windows give me a message saying the drive is no longer present after copying a few files. The drives then disappear from My Computer. It seems like there might be some kind of driver conflict or something, but I'm not really sure how to resolve this. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Do they show up in the bios all the time?

paulisme

paulisme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just rebooted to check, and the drives were present in BIOS. When Windows loaded and I went to My Computer, the drives were also present, but when I tried to access a disc in one of the drives, I got an error message, after which the drives disappeared from the list of drives in My Computer.

paulisme

paulisme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I finally fixed this problem. It turns out I had a bad IDE cable. I must have screwed it up while unplugging the CD drives and plugging up the old hard drive. I replaced it with one out of a spare parts machine I have and now all is well.