Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unknown App

• Please log in to reply

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a weird App on my computer. Does anyone happen to kno wat "Spooler Subsystem App (or spoolsv.exe)" is or wat it does? Im not sure whether its supposed to be on my computer or not. everytime i start the computer, my firewall asks me if i want to allow "Spooler Subsystem App" to connect to the internet or get internet access. I click deny. What is the "Spooler Susbsystem App"?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You wouldn't happen to be running Zone Alarm firewall would you??

What is occurring here is quite simply that your 'networked' computer is announcing to the network it has a printer to share. Yes, I know you are probably on a standalone, but when you are connected to the internet, that technically qualifies as a network, so your firewall is trying to share your printer via the 'spoolsv.exe' process with the 'network'.

This is a documented annoyance with Zone Alarm. If you are not sharing your printer, your choices for now are to select an option and let it remember it (selecting 'no' will NOT inhibit your ability to print documents stored local or remote), or what we do and recommend in in the course of support is to:
Open ZA > 'Program Control' > 'Programs' tab
Scroll down to 'Spooler SubSystem App'
Double-click and select 'Block' for 'Trusted' & 'Internet' in both the 'Access' and 'Server' columns

Murray

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thanks alot. i do have Zone Alarm.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts