Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Theme is missing

• Please log in to reply

minimart26

minimart26

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have recently had some problems with malware programs, but all those issues are fixed. While working on fixing my problems, my windows theme changed from the XP format to classic format. It's not a huge issue, but I am going nutz with the older squarer looking layout. When I go to display properties, under the appearance tab, the only option I have in windows and buttons is "windows classic style" Any help on resolving this issue and getting me back to the newer xp look would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi minimart26,

Possible your Themes Service has been disabled. Go to START--->RUN and type in 'services.msc'. Check and see if the 'THEMES' services is not started, if it isn't, double click on it and select AUTOMATIC for 'Startup Type' and click APPLY and OK and reboot your computer, then go and try to change the Theme from classic to Windows XP

minimart26

minimart26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My themes were currently running. I even stopped them and then restarted them, then restarted, but that didn't do anything either.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Try going to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes and double clicking on the LUna.Theme file that is shown there.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Oh, and then click Apply and Ok in the window that appears. :tazz:

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Take a look at this post.
Good Luck,
Urich

minimart26

minimart26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Urichjones That last bit of information you posted did the trick.

Anngee

Anngee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) :tazz: Yes thank you!!!!It helped me too. The kids and hubby will stop complaining about the task bar being grey!!!

Signed,

A Girl Geek

alpha3031

alpha3031

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thx sooo much! been puzzling over y wininstall wont work 4 ages and i finaly found it in services.msc. Also, services.msc is acc-able via control pannel via admin tools