Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal USB 2.0 Ports

• Please log in to reply

Sailorboy33

Sailorboy33

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Why do the USB 2.0 high speed PCI cards have internal ports? What are they used for? I have USB 1.1 capability now and would like to unplug the built-in ports from my Motherboard and plug into one of these internal ports, but the plugs are different. Is there an adaptor available? Thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Internal ports on a pci usb card are used for front panel usb - so if your case has front usb ports with an internal fly lead, it can be connected to the usb card.

You said that the USB ports built into your motherboard are different to the ones on the pci card, can you tell us exactly how they differ? You should find that they follow one of these configurations :
2 rows of 4 pins
2 rows of 5 pins or
1 row of 4 + 1 row of 5

Sailorboy33

Sailorboy33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The plug from my front USB ports [are] is configured like the last of your choices (2 rows, 4 and 5 pins); the internal port looks just like the other USB ports, and I don't see anywhere on the PCI card that has a female into which to plug the 4/5-pinned plug.

Edited by Sailorboy33, 29 August 2005 - 02:57 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, sorry I was assuming that the pci card had a bare usb header on it (like a motherboards internal usb header).

In which case, what you will have is a USB-A connector. This means you can plug a standard USB cable straight into it but the fly lead from your front USB ports won't fit it.

Your best bet if you wish to have front USBv2 ports, may be to buy something like this :
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=50542

This particular product requires an empty 5.25in bay but connects to the internal usb controller using a standard usb cable, instead of a bare pin header.