Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98 boots only into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

bethq08

bethq08

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What would cause Windwos 98 to boot only into Safe mode. It does this each time without being "told" to do so. We have received error messages about audio and visual drivers. A message regarding visual drivers occured when attempting to boot into normal mode after pressing the F8 key.

I tried this site's solution under Windwos Me that suggested booting into Dos and entering scanreg /restore. That was when the message about audio drivers cane up coupled with a BSOD.

Nothing has been added to this computer. No changes have been made. The situation occured after the computer was unplugged due to a storm in the area. The next boot after being plugged in was into safe mode. It has stayed there ever since.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it looks like safe mode but doesn't say it in the four corners that means that you've lost your display adapter drivers and reverted to 640X480 and 16 colors.

This often happens when you reinstall. You can get drivers from any number of places but I would start at the computer makers.

bethq08

bethq08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It does say "safe mode" in all four corners. Any idea where I go from here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bethq08...Welcome to G2G!

Have you tried running Scandisk and then rebooting?
Do you have the Windows 98 Install cd?
What kind of computer are we talking about...?

Sorry about all the questions...The more information we have, the easier it is to help you.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 August 2005 - 08:13 AM.

bethq08

bethq08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no problem about the questions! The computer is a Gateway running windows 98. the user is not me. The computer is one I am helping a friend with. It is a Gateway. She has no installation disks. We have scanned for errors. Where should I go from here

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bethq08...

Let's see if we can do a quick repair on the registry...

Click "Start" and choose "Shut Down" then choose "Restart in MS_DOS Mode" and click "Ok".

At the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type scanreg /fix (Note the space before /fix ... the command should be C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix) and press "Enter". When the scan completes press "Enter" to exit the registry scan and then press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" to restart.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 September 2005 - 11:25 PM.

bethq08

bethq08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry to be so late answering. I had problems with my own machine. I appreciate your effor but we have already tried the registry fix and it did not work. Is there any other things we can do?

Craig S

Craig S

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is a wild guess- At least check>> Start:Run:msconfig:General tab: Advanced tab and be sure "Enable Startup Menu" is Not checked. If it is I think you'd always open in Safe Mode. Can't comment on the error messages but this can't hurt to check.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You say in your first post that you received a message regarding "visual drivers" could this have been video drivers?

If you say it boots srtaight into Safe Mode without offering you the choice - it could be that your video card needs re-seating.

Turn your computer off.

If you take the panel off your computer there should be a card that the monitor lead is attached to - ( looks a bit like this - http://photos.imagee...ze/PC260001.JPG )

Take the retaining screw out and carefully rock the card in its seating to ensure a good connection.

Take this opportunite to get rid of any buildup of dust.

Don't forget to replace the screw.

Sounds complex but is really quite an easy operation.

It is worth a try :tazz: