Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address 169.254.x.x

• Please log in to reply

fdw

fdw

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently installed a cable modem to replace a DSL modem. The remaining connection is the same; an 8 port Linksys router, one PC connected to the router, a Cisco wireless port connected to the router. Both computers worked fine for approximatlely two weeks then the PC was able to connet to the internet. I conntacted the cable company and was told there was a conflict due to the PC not releasing the IP Address. The IP Address is 169.254.X.X. I can Ping the adress and recieve the normal replys. Whe I try to ipconfig /renew and ipconfig release I recieve the following error: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP. I am looking for suggestions as what to try next.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Look I had the same problem as you and could not fix it, and I have seen others with the same thing and they could not fix it either.

I formated after hours of trying to fix it and every thing was good again with in two hours. I am sorry but his might be the only thing that will fix it.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Try right clicking on the Internet connection Icon and click on repair and then see what happpens!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I tryed that back when I had the problems only about six millon times, but I hope that is works it you case.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 28 August 2005 - 11:38 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I recently installed a cable modem to replace a DSL modem.  The remaining connection is the same; an 8 port Linksys router, one PC connected to the router, a Cisco wireless port connected to the router.  Both computers worked fine for approximatlely two weeks then the PC was able to connet to the internet.  I conntacted the cable company and was told there was a conflict due to the PC not releasing the IP Address.  The IP Address is 169.254.X.X.  I can Ping the adress and recieve the normal replys.  Whe I try to ipconfig /renew and ipconfig release I recieve the following error: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP.  I am looking for suggestions as what to try next.

View Post

have you tryed connecting your cable directly to the computer instead of the router?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Go to Control Panel and Right Click Network Connections and choose properties.
Then right click TCIP and choose properties and make sure obtain address automatically is checked.

It's been a while since I dealt with Win2K but I believe this is the correct way to get to the TCIP properties.

Another thing to try is to push the reset button on your router...This will default to DHCP server.

trying to help.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I an atempt to help you even though I don't think that any thing you do will help, you Ip adress should be some thing like 196.168.0.xxx. I cause of the problem for me (and I think for many other people is that something causes some of your services to stop working.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 29 August 2005 - 05:06 AM.

fdw

fdw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have reinstalled the OS, conected the PC directly to the modem, rebooted the modem, I have tried both checking and not checking the Automatic detects setting in the LAN setting, when I ping the address from another PC connected to the same router I recieve a normal reply.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The root cause of my problem was my services. Do you know that they are? Can I ask you to go the control panel Administrative tool and click services. There will now be a list of servise that are on your computer. Right click the ones that are not started and start them. some will not start, this is nomal, but what I want is a list of the ones that will not start to see it any ones that are needed to conect to the internet are not working. This may be a bit of work but it could help me fix your problem.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 30 August 2005 - 06:35 AM.

fdw

fdw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Services that would not start:
Fax Service
Net Logon
Net Meeting Remote
Smart Card Helper
Uninteruptable Power Supply

Routing and Remote Access - after right clicking popup menu had the following items listed but not available (light text)
Start
Stop
Pause
Resume
Restart

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
None of those services are needed.

What type of conection are you trying to get, wireless or cable? Have you updated the drivers?

fdw

fdw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am conected with a cable. When the problem started I suspected the LAN card so I installed a new card and driver. When I check the Devise Manager it shows only the new card I installed. The green light on the card is lit indicating a connection. When I ping the IP address from the problem PC or another PC connected through the same router I get the same response and the statistics show only 4 packets sent and 4 packets recieved.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could uninstall every thing to do with you Lan card and then trun you computer off and remove the Lan Card. Then trun the computer on again and make sure every thing is all right. Then install every thing all over again.

Or something else (what fixed it for me) was to remove the Lan Card and the format and install it before I did any thing else. You said that you had reinstall the oerating system so it can't be too hard to do it again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
An IP Address of 169.254.X.X. is an automatic IP address windows uses when a dhcp server cannot be found.

Your cable company provides the ip address to your node (I say node, because it may not be your PC, but your account.)

In a typical setup with a router in the house, the router takes the single ip, and then it acts as a dhcp server and gives your local pcs a "private" ip address....

typically starting

192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x (169.254.x.x is also private, but since windows uses that for automatic ip configuration, no household routers I know of use this)

The router than uses network address translation to route data packets from indvidual pcs to the internet, and from the internet to the local pcs.

Since you are not getting an ip address from dhcp, the question is why?

First, is ANY PC working?

If not, focus on the cable modem/router....your ISP likely awards IP addresses based on MAC addresses. The fact that it gave you an ip address once, but then two weeks later all stopped (again, all or just one PC), screams that your cable modem or router is not authorized to receive an ip address on that network.

Did you power off the router? Do they know you have a router? Does the phrase "clone MAC address" or "clone hardware address" ring a bell?

fdw

fdw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have acble modem connected to an 8 port router and connect 3 or 4 PC (laptops included) to the router. The problem I am having is with on PC. I have the same problem if I connect the PC to the router or modem.

The cable company does know and allows routers with up to seven seperate internet connections. The cable company does not provide support for troubleshooting the router.

I have restarted both the modem and router.

I have heard the term MAC address and I understand it to be some sort of machine ID. However, I do not know how to access or do anything with the MAC address.