Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I ran cleanup and Now lost my taskbar..Help

• Please log in to reply

Brinie

Brinie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I downloaded and ran cleanup for the first time tonight. WHen I t was done, I received messages that file required for windows to operate correctly had been replaced with unknown files. When my computer restarted, I had lost my taskbar and most of my toolbars for IE. I tried a system restore from the safe mode command prompt (since I can't access my start menu), and it siad it could not restore. I'm not sure if cleanup was the problem or some virus. Does anyone have any advice, other than reformatting? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Sincerely,

Sabrina

Advertisements

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
press ctrl+alt+delete then click file and then "New Task (Run..)" then type explorer.exe

You can also just re-install the toolbars for IE..

For information on viruses go to the malware section

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try your System Restore again, maybe to an earlier date. SR points are cumulative, so the further back you go, the better your chances of getting a clean point. Haul out your XP disk, if that doesn't work, and try an SFC.

Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
note the space while typing, insert cd.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Johanna

Brinie

Brinie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I ended up having to do a fix using the os disc. Has anyone heard of this happening before after someone has ran Cleanup?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It happens

You might want to turn system restore off, reboot, turn system restore on, create a restore point

System restore points can retain malware / spyware and re-instate them if you use one which is infected