Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100 dollars per barrel, but when?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK this is just a fun thread but I think it will be Febuary 2006, if you don't feel that this is going to happen please post why, and if you do think this is going to happen please post which month and year, sorry no prize for he winner. :tazz:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I shudder to even think it. It's sad when my little Cavalier that gets 28 miles to the gallon costs me over $30 per week to fill. My Dad parked his pickup truck the other day, and bought a small used car to drive to work. It was costing him about $70 per week just to drive to work and back! :tazz:
Small trucking companies are cutting costs everywhere they can, and it's still not enough.
I don't even want to guess.....but I'm afraid it will hit $100 per barrel before we know it :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
between tomorrow and next week

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LMAO i find it so funny when americans moan about paying too much for petrol, when they still have the cheapest petrol in the civilised world its your own fault for poor planning. Planners got used to assuming everyone had cars so they stopped building things close to population centres and people could no longer walk. And the fact that your government unlike other nations takes no action to make its people stop buying petrol and uneconomical vehicles.
I cant complain though my dad works for an oil company so i got lots of free trips to the states.

Edited by warriorscot, 29 August 2005 - 08:06 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I actually find your post offensive. :tazz: I DO "plan". I HAVE an economical car. I cannot control the government, the oil companies, or anything else. I don't go anywhere in my car that I don't have to, to be conservative. Yes..I DO vote in every election to make my voice count. But sadly, it isn't enough.

heh. Must be nice to get free ANYTHING in this day and age.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
planning doesn't account for anything. You can't plan for a $1.50 increase at the pumps over night. The main reason is because we export close to 80% of our oil to other countries, then in turn we import oil from OPEC. the US government has no control over OPEC, or the oil companies.

IMO, the only reason fuel prices are so high is because these OIL companies want to line there fat pockets even more then they already are.

so what the solution?? simple. close our borders to ALL exports and Import, uncap the wells that the EPA and treehugging GreenPeace members requested to be closed and start supplying our nation with OUR oil. OPEC can rot in hades as far as I'm concerned, as well as all the oil companies.

As for economical cars, try and find one at a decent price here. the hybrids that we currenly offer here that get 35-40+ miles per gallon are being priced overly high because there is a demand for it. Currently the Toyota Prius has a Year long waiting list, and thats at $28,000.00 USD, $6000 over its usual cost. The Honda Civic Hybrid is selling for $24,000 USD, thats $2000 over its normal price, and it currently is on a year and a half waiting list. GMC new hybrid truck is on recall last I knew because the battery pack is exploding, so thats not a safe option either.

and the average car, not truck, gets around 28 miles per gallon now a days, which is still good considering there are trucks out there that get 8 miles to the gallon.

now then, as for the actual topic of this thread.

$100 a barrel by October 2005

Edited by Efwis, 29 August 2005 - 10:26 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Are we not forgetting the question here, do you think that it will go to 100$, if so when and why, and if not why.

I will answer for my post, Winter needs the most heating fuel, Winter has storms that disrupt supplies, alternative fuels have to be imported from south of the equator, Winter holidays also need plane fuel. China too, will be moving to sucure its supply. America may have to move on Iran.

So I think it will be February then. I think you will agree that it is worth considering.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
sorry my reason why is simple, the oil companies want to get richer faster.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
as an added note. after doing some deeper research into my earlier triad I cam across this.

[quote name='http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/experts/contactexperts.htm']Do consumers impact gasoline prices?

Consumers have very little power as individuals but, if enough consumers give the same “market signal,” they can impact prices. First, when consumers buy gasoline at service stations in their areas with the lowest price, they take market share away from higher-priced stations; these stations may then eventually reduce their prices to be more competitive. The second way consumers impact the market is by reducing gasoline consumption. If enough people reduce driving or switch to more energy-efficient vehicles, gasoline demand would decline and prices would be dampened. [/quote]

Edited by Efwis, 29 August 2005 - 10:45 AM.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Iraq Enjoys Some of World's Cheapest Gas
By THOMAS WAGNER, AP

LONDON (Aug. 17) - Motorists struggling with high gas prices in the United States and Europe may be surprised to learn that consumers in Iraq pay as little as 5 cents a gallon, according to the International Monetary Fund's first assessment of the Iraqi economy in 25 years.

Thanks to generous government subsidies on petroleum products -- which the IMF criticized as a threat to the country's fragile economy -- Iraq has some of the cheapest gas in the world.

By contrast, Americans pay about $2.55 a gallon and Britons pay $6.24. Iraqis also pay much less for a gallon of regular gasoline than in nearby countries such as Iran (38 cents), Jordan ($1.89) and Syria ($1.74).

Even the many Iraqis who pay higher, black-market prices at the pump often make money by smuggling gasoline into neighboring countries such as Turkey, according to the International Monetary Fund's 62-page report released Monday.

Iraq's government hasn't been able to fulfill its promise to the IMF to slash the massive subsidies, given how much the country already is suffering from escalating violence by insurgents, high unemployment and inflation, and poor electricity, water and sewage services.

Last month, the Yemeni government agreed to reverse its earlier decision to lift subsidies on oil products after a wave of riots and strikes swept Yemen's major cities.

In 2004, gasoline subsidies alone cost the Iraqi government $3 billion, the IMF said.

Therefore, the IMF said it was cutting its forecast for gross domestic product growth this year from 17 percent to 4 percent. In 2004, the Iraqi GDP was $25.5 billion. This year it is projected to reach $29.3 billion.

The IMF said oil production was likely to reach only 2 million barrels a day over the year, down from its earlier estimate of 2.4 million barrels "because of the continuing sabotage of oil installations and the resulting halting of oil exports from the north."

Before U.S.-led forces defeated Saddam Hussein, whose government also heavily subsidized gas prices for consumers, average annual oil production in Iraq was 2.5 million barrels per day.

The IMF said the government was likely to run short of money in the second half of this year because of lower oil exports and a shortfall in revenue largely caused by the subsidies.

Iraq's proven oil reserves, estimated at about 115 billion barrels, are the world's third largest. The potential development of the oil sector is considerable, given that a large portion of the country remains unexplored.

That's why oil analysts closely watch Iraq's oil production and export figures to see if they will affect the world's skyrocketing oil prices, now hovering at about $66 a barrel.

"Because of the tight situation of the oil market, any increase in Iraqi production will have a positive affect on the supply side," said Muhammad-Ali Zainy, a senior energy economist at the London-based Centre for Global Energy Studies.

Iraq's economy has benefited from today's oil prices. But widespread attacks by insurgents limit its oil exports. Also, the government doesn't have the money it needs to rehabilitate and upgrade an oil industry infrastructure that has fallen apart during two decades of wars, misuse by Saddam Hussein's government and international trade sanctions.

Zainy said few changes are expected in Iraq's current oil exports of about 1.6 million barrels a day, mostly through its southern ports, which have suffered far fewer insurgent attacks than the main pipeline to Turkey in the north.

"The problem is that the Iraqi economy is in a shambles and non-oil income is trivial, so the government is almost completely dependent on oil income and whatever the international community can contribute," Zainy said.

Issam al-Chalabi, who served as Iraq's oil minister in the late 1980s, agreed.

"It's doubtful the government will be able to do anything of significance regarding its oil market this year," al-Chalabi said in a telephone interview from Jordan, where he now works as an oil consultant.

He said the insurgent attacks mean none of the world's major oil companies are willing to invest in the country.

Al-Chalabi said these companies also don't want to sign significant contracts in a country that is currently drafting a new constitution that could affect the oil industry and that plans to elect a new national government later this year.

"BP and Shell are not planning to go into Iraq any time soon. Until you get a new elected government and much better security, forget it," al-Chalabi said.

8/17/2005 13:35:41

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
And warriorscot,

Quoting here:

LMAO i find it so funny when americans moan about paying too much for petrol

Well, I'm glad our loss is your humor. I dont care if we are one of the cheapest, I still feel for the other countries that pay more.

I cant complain though my dad works for an oil company so i got lots of free trips to the states.

Your right... You shouldnt... :tazz:

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
fleamailman,

Are we not forgetting the question here

:tazz:

Did you actually think that it would stay on track... Nope... you picked a touchy subject, and there are to many people with opinions...

:)

But, it will happen I'm sure of it, and to soon actually... I'm all for getting horse and buggy :) That would not bother me in the least to be taking my horse to the super market...

***notes*** Just hopes that she is still there when I come back out :)

:ph34r:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:tazz: :) Staci....you are da BOMB girlfriend!! :) :ph34r: :)

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hey Kat... :)

Well I try... I get my moods I supose, but you can ask Blair.. I do need to learn to zip it at times... :tazz:

Hey, what can you say when you were raised by men heh :)

And on that note, that is what got me added to GTG too :ph34r:

lol

:ph34r: :)

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I did a little more research. once again.

upon my research I have found the following very disturbing information.

source is through http://www.eia.doe.gov

real retail prices for fuel.

oil companies pay $1.957USD per gallon of regular unleaded
consumers pay $2.559USD per gallon of regular unleaded

so how much is the oil companies making per gallon based on approximately 32 million gas stations country wide?

$19,264,000USD per gallon of regular unleaded in profit

if I knew exactly how many gallons per day those 32 million gas stations used, I would be able to supply per day and per year profits for these oil companies that are "hurting" so much that President Bush gave them a Tax cut.

now that I have said my peace, and shown how the Oil companies are raping america and other countries, I will get off my soap box.

Edited by Efwis, 29 August 2005 - 11:59 AM.