Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100 dollars per barrel, but when?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, it is a bit funny, in america they had the oppertunity to build modern well planned cities and introduce public transport so good that no one would need private transport again. Did they do it, No. Its not like when it is tried to introduce new transport in other countries elsewhere in the world there is 2000 years or more of urban development to build around and preserve yet in america they have a fresh slate to build on and they still plan it poorly. I never get why they buid everything so far apart its not the fault of the citiziens that they need cars because i have been to america i know that unless you are in the city you need a car because everything is built so far away from each other. And there is little to no provision for public transport or walking(that is a big thing i notice footpaths are few and far between). And what is in between the places where people live and the infrastructure = NOTHING, its absolutely hilarious they make everything far apart for the only reason is that they can they have space to use up.

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya :tazz: ,

its your friendly OT Moderator here with a few hints as to how this thread might stay open.

1- Get it back on topic. The thread is not about urban planning, neither is it about the political consequences of the petrochemical industry.

2- Do not dismiss out of hand other posters viewpoints or sensitivities, it can cause deep offence to be told that you, or your beliefs, or indeed your country is hilarious.

3- Do not take offence at a post when none is intended by the poster. Language, especially common phrases, can be a barrier to communication where there is no common idiomatic understanding.

OK, Understood?

UKBiker

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry mod, I thought up this thread as fun for the site with perhaps some education to boot, I knew that it had to be something interesting and current while avoiding offence. So I think the imput given on this thread has been great, lessens have been learnt and that the support shown welll comends everyone here and your site too for hosting it; however, I feel that this post should now be closed in order to give someone else a chance to come up with a newer perhaps less painful question.

In contributing to forums, I notice quibs have their place are should be liberaly used as long as they add to the context though, and I am borrowing from Lord Chesterfield "Humor is like the sun, where there is none it is very cold but where it is too close it burns", - funny that he should say that two hundred years before these forums appear then.

Edited by fleamailman, 30 August 2005 - 05:38 AM.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi fleamailman :tazz:

I understand and support the purpose of this thread, and i would like to leave it open.However, G2G is not a political forum, and while users have contributions they would like to make, other members personal beliefs must be treated with respect. The subject isnt painfull itself at all, but we needed to set some guidelines so as to ensure that the contributors didnt unintentionally cause offence to anyone.

UKBiker

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Warriorscot:

It's not a matter of "poor planning". It's more a matter of "we have the space, so use it!" Why build cities so close to each other if you still have thousands of miles left to build it? :tazz:

And btw, normally when leaving the city one takes the airplane because the USA is so big. Whenever I leave New York to visit my family in another State, I usually take the jet. :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not very economical to take the jet(says boy who has made the trip acroos the pond more times than he can count and has flown in very uneconomical manners when he flys himself), i wasnt talking about the cities i was talking about the bits inbetween, not neccesarilly in new york i went there once and its good you can walk every where(worse experience of my life i have never been so hot , even in the desert i wasnt as hot). Last place i was in america was north carolina now the weather is good enough to walk anywhere but you cant walk from the houde to the local supermarket cause it is miles away that is bad planning if you built all the houses and supermarkets together you could walk and the lack of footpaths in suburban areas is also bad planning. American cities are pretty good for public transport but its when you leave them that the planning goes to pot.

I did alot of geography when i was at school(was good at, its very interesting stuff when you get into it) so i am always looking at palces i visit with a geographers eye so to speak and breaking it down into how many ways planners break the excepted rules. American citiese are very interesting case studies they are the rules gone to far its quite an interesting thing to observe only place in the world where the cities where made to fit the urban expansion models rather than the models being made of them.

Ahh well completely off topic now, i could probably ask my dad and he could give me the answer according to the petrochemical industry as to when it is going to hit $100 but it is late and he probably wouldnt tell me knowing him. It would just be conjecture and i am not a fan of conjecture and if it raises to $100 a barrel it matters what you pay at the pump. So in britian if i was to go buy a barrel of petrol it would cost me 265 dollars.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This thread is being closed at the topic starters request.