Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading ME to XP

• Please log in to reply

Ravenchild

Ravenchild

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have inherited a pc (not the one I'm currently using) which used to run ME. Unfortunately ALL the Windows files have been deleted and I can only get the error message VMM32.vxd missing. I know this is a major problem. I want to upgrade to XP and have a CD. I have changed the BIOS so it should boot from the CD drive but nothing happens.

Apart from digging a deep hole for it - any suggestions? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it a full version of xp? or an upgrade disk? did the machine come to you with a recovery disk?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
More quesstions, how big is the hard drive and do you know the make?

You can go to www.allbootdisk.com and get a boot disk for win98se (the ME one doesn't have format) on any computer and use it to check the disk for files, etc. If it has the Install folder you can reinstall ME if you need to first.

You can also take the drive out and make it slave or cable select in your current machine, which might actually be easier and give you better options for fomating. Some older machines may need BIOS updates to handle XP, check with the mfrs.. first because they usually have free ones that actually work.