Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

The hurting

The hurting

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just received a newer Dell computer I wanted to save all my information from my other hard drive and just transfer my old Maxtor hard drive loaded with XP from my old Gateway computer. I am unable to boot up I have a second hard drive I wanted to install but that is another issue. I took the jumpers off the back of the hard drive and I get a OS not found, even tried to put jumpers on master but still no joy. I either get a Primary and secondary drive not found or OS not found. I put the hard drive back into old computer it boots up fine, also the new one came with a 10 Gig hard drive with xp on it, that hard drive can boot up fine. I check my boot.ini and Nt detect found no problems. Some one help me please!

:tazz:

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Check the bus cables. Im sure your new Dell computer usese bus (aka ide) cables that are different from the ones you were using in your old Gateway computer. Try using the bus cable from your old gateway computer and connect the old hard drive to the dell computer's ide slot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% sure on this one (xp is a different animal) but...usually when you load up an OS on a hardware platform it is configured for that platform (irqs, drivers, etc...) so usually just putting that drive in and hoping it will boot doesn't work....if you were to put it in as a slave with the drive that came with the new machine as the master you would be able to transfer your files. but not the programs

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Had this problem myself, if you can't get the computer to recognise your old drive even in slave, there is normally no problem in putting it into an external harddrive box and connecting by USB.

The hurting

The hurting

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I fixed the problem with my harddrive, I used my XP disc to boot up on and just did a repair. It seemed to fix the problem but I still can't get my. Secondary hard drive to work I tried looking online but so far no success thanks for all you suggestions. :tazz:

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What IDE Cable you using? 40 pin?....If 40 pin maybe you need an 80 pin cable...Ultra ATA and Ultra DMA need 80 pin cables.

Just a thought

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the second hard drive show up in device manager?

The hurting

The hurting

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am using and 40 pin I will try the 80 pin later today I. I have not seen it in my device manager at all I am starting to think its fried but I can hear it spinning when I take the cover off my Computer. If the new cable does not work I will try to use an external hard drive attachment to get my files.