Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart "Remote Procedure Call" [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

m2600

m2600

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was following another post on removing the "217.170.4.137 Hijack" during the process the intructions called "Disable the Remote procedure call" alonh with the "netinfo"

Most of the stuff on my computer does not work now and I cannot seem to find a way to access the service to put it back in "automatic"

Can you guys help

M2600

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello m2600,

Hopefully, you're still with us. Remote Procedure Call is a legitimate system service that is necessary for functionality of the system as I'm sure you've noticed by now.

If you have not already reformatted your system, we can get it restarted.

Please download restart.zip from here: Attached File  restart.zip   231bytes   111 downloads
Unzip it to your desktop - Don't run it yet!
Reboot into Safe Mode
Once in Safe Mode, go into the restart folder and double-click restart.reg
When asked if you want to merge with the registry click YES.
After the merged successfully prompt, reboot your computer into normal mode.

Then go to Start > Run and type cmd click OK.

Type:

net start

hit enter

Look down the list (in alphabetical order) and look to see if Remote Procedure Call is there.
Hopefully it will be now...

If it is, just type exit then hit enter. And let me know how things are going!

If it's not in the list then type:

net start rpcss

hit enter.

type exit hit enter.

Reboot, then let me know how it's going :tazz:

m2600

m2600

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Michelle,

"Format" seemed to do the job....lol

There was so much spyware,adware stuff that it was something new every day.

However there is something to be learned every time I encounter a problem and there is places and people like you that are willing to help.

Thanks for the help

Mark

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello Mark!
Well I'm sorry to hear that you reformatted, but I'm glad everything is running smoothly. To keep it that way, I would advise visiting the Microsoft website to ensure you have all of the available Windows security updates - (they have up to Service Pack 4 available for Windows 2000.)

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definitely a must have. Three good free versions are Sygate, Kerio, and ZoneAlarm.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.