Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARDRIVE PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi all,

I have a serious problem with my hard drive. One of the hard drive pins has snapped of. It now wont connect proerly. Is there a way I can replace the pins or even the board on the hard drive? I have a Maxtor 80gig. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Assuming that you can't get the drive replaced under warranty (unlikely in this case), then your chances of fixing it are heavily dependent on how good you are with a soldering iron.

If you look at the underside of the drive, you should be able to see where the pins are soldered to the PCB board. You will need to remove the solder on the snapped off pin (i suggest using a desoldering pump), find a replacement pin (off of an old broken drive maybe) & solder the new on onto the PCB.

If you can't solder well yourself, find someone who can & use a low wattage soldering iron. Make sure though that you protect the PCB against static damage etc & do not under any circumstances open up the drive itself.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
get a paper clip cut it to length stick it in the hole of the cable that lines up
with the broken pin if a normal paper clip is to loose then get the jumbo size