Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware issues with new hardrive

• Please log in to reply

zsappf

zsappf

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I installed a new hardrive and I am having trouble getting my hardware to work.

When I plug in my (HP PSC 1210V) printer's USB cable it says "Found New Hardware" then goes to the wizard, and whether I try to install the software automatically or from the CD it doesn't work. The wizard says

"There was a problem installing this hardware psc 1200 series; An error occured during the installation of the device; The data is invalid."

I have tried downloading the drivers from HP's websited too, and I run into the same problems.

I get the same error when I try to install the drivers for my TI-89 Titanium calculator, two separate digital cameras, and I have similar problems with both of my flash drives.

Both my cable modem and my wireless adapter seem to have installed just fine though.

I ran a windows update, but no changes.

In the device manager it shows my hardware with exclamation marks, and in "Device Status" it says:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

When I switch back to my old hardrive all of the devices work properly.

The new hardrive is from a duplicate computer, both computers where bought at the same time and place.

Please Help :tazz:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
With USB printers and Scanners (and most other USB stuff for that matter) the usual procedure is to have the device unplugged or turned off, install the drivers, re-boot the PC, then plug in and switch on the device. Windows will detect it and you tell the wizard to locate the driver automatically -- at which point it searches the hard disk where you previously installed it. That's how my Epson printer installs anyway, and it works everytime.

Edited by pip22, 29 August 2005 - 12:57 PM.

zsappf

zsappf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: ....no luck. I unistalled everything and tried it that way. I gives me the same error. I can install them without trouble on other machines, and on this one with the other hardrive. This doesn't make sense to me. Thanks though.

Jonafreeman

Jonafreeman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
What kind of computer are you working on?

zsappf

zsappf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
An HP Compaq d220 MT

zsappf

zsappf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I believe it is more of a system problem than a hardware problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

The new hardrive is from a duplicate computer, both computers where bought at the same time and place.

I would backup and try a fresh install of the OS even though the computers are identical, remember this is windows and you never know.

Rick