Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I give up!

• Please log in to reply

Gothos

Gothos

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
This is what I have going on....

Windows 98SE

Linksys network card ...plug and pray. (no joy)

NUMEROUS downloads of "drivers" that supposedly is to install this thing ...

which works ... but ...

I'm missing a PCI Ethernet Controller in the "Other" device manager (yellow ! that says not installed).

It's an Intel board, 8243 chipset (not supported anymore ... thank you Intel)

So till this gets resolved, this machine I been messing with for 1 week is no better than a door stop.

Awaiting a reply .... and thanks in advance for the link.

:tazz:

~G~

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is the card inserted properly? I guess you went to the Linksys site for the drivers? We need more information to point you to the download. Could you tell us the part number of the card? There are many variations on most cards, so it has to be the exact number. And you should uninstall the old driver and reboot before installing the new one.

Gothos

Gothos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Is the card inserted properly? I guess you went to the Linksys site for the drivers? We need more information to point you to the download. Could you tell us the part number of the card? There are many variations on most cards, so it has to be the exact number. And you should uninstall the old driver and reboot before installing the new one.

View Post

Card's in. (acutially reseated about 3 different times in different PCI slots)

Been to linksys and lord know's how many others.

All drivers have beed deleted, and been software "clean-up" just in case.

Reinstalls see the card.... drivers load .... sets a driver database, and then nothing. then when you go to the device manager here's this lovely yellow ! on the PCI controller. So.... apparantly there is still some hardware vendors that are still clueless on backward compatibility.

As an FYI (a friends PC) ... it was up and running before, but the software that may have had this .inf file is now missing.

Card is as follow;

Linksys LNE100TX Version 2.0
C98-00497654
370491 (presumed Serial number)

(Made in Taiwan .... *shrug*) :tazz:

Thanks for the quick reply

:)

~G~

Edited by Gothos, 29 August 2005 - 02:10 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right here.

Thank Googleness I found it. Linksys gets an F for product support in my book.

Gothos

Gothos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Nice page.... I like the"let's kill Osama stuff".....

I not clicking on any of that crap displayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a direct link.

I can do the search that leads to this .... that leads to that ... that leads to the other....

I'm not that way ... I need a LINK to RESOLVE this PROBLEM.

(did I happen to say Direct?)

*****EDIT*******

Sorry just a tad of a rant .... but it does ( or I'm trying to) uphold the customer sevice thing. It's just ... you research ... find it ... click on it and when it "finally" says "where would you like this file placed." ... back up one step ... and post the link.

Edited by Gothos, 29 August 2005 - 06:34 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Nice page.... I like the"let's kill Osama stuff".....

I not clicking on any of that crap displayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a direct link.

I can do the search that leads to this .... that leads to that ... that leads to the other....

I'm not that way ... I need a LINK to RESOLVE this PROBLEM.

(did I happen to say Direct?)

*****EDIT*******

Sorry just a tad of a rant .... but it does ( or I'm trying to) uphold the customer sevice thing. It's just ... you research ... find it ... click on it and when it "finally" says "where would you like this file placed." ... back up one step ... and post the link.

View Post

I don't know the direct link to the file, but the page refers to the linksys FTP site, so you are practically linking to it directly. You haven't met some of the other free driver sites where you have to sign up to get your email account spammed. You can go to ftp://ftp.linksys.com and try your luck finding it.

Edited by Tyger, 29 August 2005 - 09:10 PM.

Gothos

Gothos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'm still "wading" thru stuff. I'll let ya'll know if I find this little animal.

(I know it's out there somewhere ... just have to snag it).

~G~

Gothos

Gothos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
HAH!!!! I found it.

Version 4. (whatever it was) and the system was looking for a Windows 95 .inf file.

Thanky for all the efforts in the search.

~G~