Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE/ Firefox problem

• Please log in to reply

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
So you might be asking, what's the problem? IE sucks anyway.

The problem is that I can't seem to get Firefox and the quicktime plugin to work properly, so from time to time, when I come across a website w/ an embedded qt movie clip, I need to paste the link into IE to watch it.

The only problem is that recently, IE stopped working. My connection is working fine, because I can surf using Firefox without any problems, but when I open IE, it gives me the "white screen of ineptitude" that tells me it can't find a connection.

I'm assuming this is an IE settings issue, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Of course, I could avoid this problem by just getting the qt plugin to work properly, but Firefox won't link to it from it's own plug in add-on tool, and when I go to the apple site and install it, it just doesn't seem to fix the problem.

So either one...anyone?

thanks

Advertisements

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Go to the top of the FF page click on tools>extension>get more extension. Check out that page and download the "Veiw IE" extension. then when you need to, just right click on the page you need to veiw in IE and it will come up. Try it , You'll like it. :tazz:

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
thanks...but it didn't work....urgh! I wish I could just get javascript pop up windows to work w/ firefox...any ideas on that one or on the IE thing?

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
No, I don't have anymore ideas. I am assuming that you have some sort of Java program on your 'puter. But with Java script I'm not sure what you need. It's funny that I go to great lengths to block pop ups and javascript! And you're seeking it.
One thing, when you go to a website requiring javascript, do you get a bar across the top of the page, under the toolbars that state "You are missing a plugin to veiw this page" if so click on it and download the needed plugin. To get the Java J2SE Runtime plugin go to Mozilla.org, Java or National Weather service. For the NWS click on any radar Loop and you will be prompted to download the Java Plugin.
Other than that I don't know! :tazz:

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Just in case you haven't done this. I guess you know that if you go and click on tools at the top of the Firefox screen you will find several choices that might not be checked to allow websites you want to get through. go to Tools>options>Web Features and check the boxes to allow downloads from certain websites, Enable Javascript and whatever else you want. :tazz: