Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with 98SE

• Please log in to reply

try to be a geek

try to be a geek

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
installed 98se vision 2 and couldnt get on the internet due to corupe files so i reinstalled it and now it wont install the cdrom drive. I have changed cdromes,totally wiped the hard drive, checked the conections(other wise couldnt install it} compaq pasario 8gb hard drive (year is 1997}

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You probably didn't need to do that much, you likely just needed the drivers installed. Have you been to the Compaq site (now HP) they're pretty good about support? What is the exact model of it? Did you use the original Compaq disk, or is this generic Windows98?

try to be a geek

try to be a geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
its just the board that is compaq i reset the bios install the os and windows says the drive is install but there is somthing wrong with the driver try updating the driver, and when i do it ask me to insert the 98se disk into drive D:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

installed 98se vision 2 and couldnt get on the internet due to corupe files so i reinstalled it and now it wont install the cdrom drive. I have changed cdromes,totally wiped the hard drive, checked the conections(other wise couldnt install it}        compaq pasario 8gb hard drive (year is 1997}

View Post

hi,

Next time, if you have questions about windows 95\98\ME Os's please do the posings in:

http://www.geekstogo...5-98-ME-f3.html

try to be a geek

try to be a geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
WHAT DO YOU MEAN TONY

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

its just the board that is compaq i reset the bios install the os and windows says the drive is install but there is somthing wrong with the driver try updating the driver, and when i do it ask me to insert the 98se disk into drive D:

View Post

Because you're installing generic Windows on a Compaq you'll just have to look on the board to find the part numbers of the devices you don't have drivers for and go to the device mfrs. websites to download and install the right drivers. If you know the model number of the machine you may still be able to get them from Compaq.

try to be a geek

try to be a geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
THE BOARD SEES IT,OTHERWISE HOW DO I INSTALL OR REINSTALL IT?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

WHAT DO YOU MEAN TONY

View Post

Your asking a question about windows 98se to it really should be in the 95 98 ME forum.

I'm just letting you know for next time :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

THE BOARD SEES IT,OTHERWISE HOW DO I INSTALL OR REINSTALL IT?

View Post

Windows recognizes the device but windows doesn't have the drivers in it's collection, or at least not the installation file. You'll either have to get them from Compaq or the device makers site, and we still don't know what model Compaq it was in.

I've got a nice little HP mini board and I'm going to put it in a box and I've already been to HP to find the drivers, the board doesn't know what box it's in.