Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Vid Card setup not functioning properly.

• Please log in to reply

Greyhaven7

Greyhaven7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Relevant system info:

AMD Athlon K7 2000+
2 GB DDR PC3200
Win 2k pro
430W power source

GeForce FX 5900 XT (AGP)
and
GeForce FX 5500 (PCI)

I'm actually trying to run 4 monitors... 2 connected to each card. =) why? cuz I'm bored.

I'm trying to get these two vid cards to work together. I have both vid cards installed properly (far as I know). Each will work seperately. If I take out the AGP card, windoze will boot normally on the PCI card. If I remove the PCI card, windoze will boot normally on the AGP card. HOWEVER... win will freeze on the white screen with the win symbol and the little blue progress bar if BOTH are in the comp at the same time.

I have the nView extensions already installed (was running 2 monitors off the AGP card already).

I've had 2 vid cards in this comp before... an older AGP GeForce 4 and a PCI GeForce 3... so I know it CAN do it... I just don't know what the conflict is this time.

Also, I know some comps have issues with dual vid cards if one is PCI and PCI isn't set in the BIOS as the primary card... so I have it set that way (PCI as primary device).

Could the problem be:
the OS?
hardware limitations of the mobo/cpu?
Power? (I know these suckers draw a lot of juice)

Thanks for any help. This one has me stumped.

Edited by Greyhaven7, 29 August 2005 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

Greyhaven7

Greyhaven7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump...

Greyhaven7

Greyhaven7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump...

does anyone even have a clue?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Could the problem be:
Power? (I know these suckers draw a lot of juice)

This may be it.

What company made your PSU? And how many Ampers are running thru the +12V rail (located on the side of the PSU)?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont bump topics on the forum it makes it less likely we will help you, other more polite people also have problems. I would try the PSU its a good place to start.