Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows update Blues

• Please log in to reply

Gman2646

Gman2646

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz: My problem is this the windows update appears in my taskbar. I click on it download and install it with no problems. A minute or so later the update icon appears again wanting me to download and install the same update. The update in question is cumulative security update for outlook express 6 sp 1 kb823353. I checked my update history and I have done this procedure 24 times. :) Can this be resolved. Also is the problem just this update or will it effect all my future updates :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go to add remove control panel and remove kb897715, then install kb823353 one more time, but make sure not to install kb877715 with it.

Reboot. After, install kb877715

Gman2646

Gman2646

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi thanks for your responce KB897715 is not in my add & remove programs. KB823353 is not there either. Even though I've installed more times than I can count.

Steve

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download IE6setup from somewhere

example:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ie6.html

Now,

Start > run
regedit
navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

in the right hand pane, double click
IsInstalled
change the value from 1 to 0
quit regedit

now run ie6setup.exe

Reboot.

Visit windows update by opening ie, choosing TOOLs > WIndowsUpdate, and installing it manually (just that one update by itself)

If it installs, you can install the rest in several bunches.

Gman2646

Gman2646

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok I did what you said and guess what IT WORKED !!! :tazz: Thank you very much. The Update icon is gone. But there is still one little problem when I checked for new updates Office 2003 SP 1 shows up. It downloads but will not install. Could it be because I only have Office 2000 Professional on my system :) If you could do anything to resolve this additional problem I would be grateful.

Thanks
Steve

Gman2646

Gman2646

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
To Gerryf.
Thanks for your help in resolving my update problem. I took care of my Office problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Offiice 2000 & Frontpage 2003. :tazz: