Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot delete files

• Please log in to reply

LTDigital

LTDigital

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I started downloading through Netscape 8.0 an update to the Far Cry game, but stopped the download before completion. I instead downloaded it through IE Explorer. However, I now have a file called far_cry_v1.33.exe in my desktop folder with 0kb.

When I tried deleting this file I get the message, "Cannot delete far_cry_v1.33.exe: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

I have completely removed Far Cry from my system, including cleaning out the registry.

Anyone have any clues? :tazz:

thanks...

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Have you rebooted your machine since cancelling this download?

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes, both soft and hard reboots.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first course would be to find what is using it and shut it down with Task Manager, and I'm betting it is netscapes downloader. If it's in it's own folder you may be able to delete the entire folder. You can download a utility that deletes files in DOS mode on boot up, or delete it in DOS yourself, but that isn't easy.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I started downloading through Netscape 8.0 an update to the Far Cry game, but stopped the download before completion.  I instead downloaded it through IE Explorer.  However, I now have a file called far_cry_v1.33.exe in my desktop folder with 0kb. 

When I tried deleting this file I get the message,  "Cannot delete far_cry_v1.33.exe: it is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

I have completely removed Far Cry from my system, including cleaning out the registry.

Anyone have any clues? :tazz:

thanks...

View Post

I think that it might have been a false download. Have you done an spyware and virus scan?

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I fully agree with Tony this could be malware but it could not be run a few virus and malware scans and tell us the results! I suggest you use the following:
Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D 1.4
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Use this link: http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try "MoveOnBoot"
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Johanna

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I am having this same problem and it IS NOT because its being used by another person or program the error message is false. It is however becuase the file is a 0 KB exe to test it try creating a text file (WARNING: you won't be able to delete this file) , put nothing in it and rename it to an exe... you won't be able to move it, rename it, or delete it.. (ive tried everything including starting up in safe mode, running cmd, killing explorer, and trying to delete the file through cmd and it couldn't be found that way) this is getting very annoying because i now have 3 files like this 1 of which is on my desktop.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

pogonici

pogonici

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
check
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/index.php
it might help u
Pogo

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Try CCleaner or CleanUp! This removes all temporary files and folders!
RockyIV

Advertisements

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. :tazz: My .exe file is also 0kb. I didn't think it was downloading through Netscape, so I canelled the download. When I closed out Netscape, I saw the file on my desk top and found that I could not delete it. I'll check out some of those products you mentioned.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
its not becuase its stuck in the temps I can make a file just like it by renaming an empty .txt file to an .exe and that proves it has nothing to do with the temps windows just has trouble with 0 KB exe's

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
i think i found the fix. there are 2 possible ways to get rid of it.
1: wipe your drive clean (not the greatest)
2: create a windows 98 bootdisk (you will need windows 98 to do this... duh?) boot up with that disk and delete the file in DOS mode

as far as I know that is the only way you can do it. if anyone else knows of a way please let me know

Edited by pr0n, 06 September 2005 - 07:05 PM.

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, again, everyone, for the advice. MoveonBoot did the trick.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting back with the good news, LTDigital!

Johanna