Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan removal

• Please log in to reply

caron

caron

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I used one of your programs to remove a trojan horse, and removed everything. NO WINDOWS, NO NOTHING. WHAT NOW? Is there anything I can do to save my computer. Noyhing will load in! Is there a way to "clean out" the computer and start over ? Please help. I feel sofoolish. thank you caron :tazz:

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hello Caron :)

Sorry to hear that :tazz:

I suggest you post this here http://www.geekstogo...2003_NT-f5.html

They will be better equipped to handle this problem

what program did you use that did this?

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
hello

thank you for your reply! i'm new at this forum thing, so forgive me.

well, the saying is "people never think it will happen to them." i took for granted that i would be able to look back on my computer for any info. I was really surprised that everything was totally gone. the program told me to quarantine some items, but to immediately delete the trojan because of the high risk.

did you suggest i go to the wxp forum, because that is what op the original post was sent from? The computer that was killed was w98. Should i go there if it is available?

Thank you for your time and interest. Truly appreciated. Caron

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hello Caren :tazz:

Will your computer boot up or will it not do anything.what exactly happens when you start your computer. I assume you are posting from a different computer.

Please advise

Thanks

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Hi, happy to hear from you. If posible i would like to get the computer going. Yes, i am posting from a different computer. The w98 computer will not boot up in safe or normal mode. Nothing will load in either, from the cd-rom. It starts and goes to where it says {oh, i'll start it and see exactly what occurs} o.k., i see the windows microsoft screen, now the mouse pointer and then it stops just like that. the mouse shows on a blue screen. it is possible to get the CMOS UTILITY.
any hope?

why are people so hurtful. to want to damage computers that belong to others is a strange way to get off.

tonight there are soo many posts with viruses and etc. If people have antivirus programs, why are there so many infected machines. Scary. Is there a way to completely protect a computer?
Thanks, caron

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hello Caron :)

I'm going to have one of the moderators move this to the Windows 98 forum for you as I am by no means an expert with the problem you are having. If it can be fixed they will do it. They are very good at what they do. As far as your other questions I dont know why people write these virus programs :tazz: but hopefully with great sites like this one we can at least help people recover from these problems.

Good luck :)

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
thank you so much for getting this started for me. :tazz: caron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi caron...Welcome to G2G!

First, let me gather a little more information from you.
1) Which version of 98 do you have...98 or 98SE?
2) Do you have a start up disk (floppy) for it? You can download one HERE.
3) Do you have the Windows 98 cd?

Windows 98 is a pretty forgiving OS...we should be able to get you going again...hopefully while leaving your data intact.

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Oh, i am so jazzed. thank you so much for your reply. i have w98se, no start up and no w98cd. i bought the computer used, and nver realized these things happen. didn't even rhink about start up or op disk. I would like to save data, but if not i will be happy to get it going. it will go into command prompt. hope this info helps. thank you so much! caron :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi caron....

Not having the disks (especially the cd) will make this a little more difficult, but let's try a couple of things.

First...From the command prompt, type scanreg.exe /fix (Note the space before the /) The entire command line should read C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix. Be sure to use the correct \ and /...type the commands just as they are posted. Press "Enter" After the scan, Reboot. (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

If that doesn't work, From the command prompt, type scanreg.exe /restore (Note the space before the /) The entire command line should read C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /restore...Press "Enter" This should allow you to restore the OS to an earlier time...Note:this does not always work on Win98. After the scan, Reboot. (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

Post back with the results...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 31 August 2005 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
putting the dog to bed and wil be right on it. thanx!!!!!! caron

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
O.K.! something is happening. after scanrestore an error appeared- INVALID VXD DYNAMIC LINK CALL FROM MPFIREWL (01) + 0002431 TO DEVICE "347F" , SERVICE 1.

LAST NIGHT ABOUT 4 IN THE MORNING I NOTICED THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD THE SAME ERROR BUT HIS PROBLEM WAS NOT RESOLVED. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
CARON

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
ORIGINALLY, WHEN MY COMPUTER WAS DAMAGED TRYING TO REMOVE THE HORSE, IT REALLY KILLED ME. I AM A TEACHER AND AM ALSO GOING TO SCHOOL, SO CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT IT. WELL WITH MUCH DELIBERATION, I PURCHASED ANOTHER COMPUTER. THE OLD ONE YOU ARE HELPING ME FIX, I WANT TO BRING TO MY CLASSROOM FOR THE SSTUDENTS TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM MENTIONING THIS, BECAUSE ON YOUR PROFILE YOU MENTIONED YOU REPAIR COMPUTERS FOR CHILDREN. THE KIDS MUST JUST GO OUT OF THEIR MIND WHEN YOU GIVE THEM A COMPUTER. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again.....

THE KIDS MUST JUST GO OUT OF THEIR MIND WHEN YOU GIVE THEM A COMPUTER

Actually, it's hard to tell who's getting the bigger thrill...them or me... :tazz:

MPFIREWL is a McAfee file...either a firewall or spamblocker near as I can tell...we'll need to get around this to remove it.

Reboot your machine and hold down the Ctrl key while it restarts. I'm hoping we'll get an options screen containing several options we can try...the first of which will be "Safe Mode". If you get the options screen, enter the number corresponding to Safe Mode and press "Enter".

Let me know if you get Windows to load...Don't shut it off!

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
hi! whew, glad you are still there. nope. did not load. caroncan i access reistry and remove it? i don't know how to do it though. caron