Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan removal

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz: Ok......

Go back to the command prompt and type win Your command line should be C:\win

wannabe1

Advertisements

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
:tazz: hi,

typed win then pressed enter and got C:\ PROGRA~1\SYMANTEC\SYMEVNT.386
CANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS OR A WINDOWS APPLICATION. THE WINDOWS REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE, BUT THE DEVICE FILE NO LONGER EXISTS. IF YOU DELETED THIS FILE ON PURPOSE, TRY UNINSTA;;ING THE ASSOCIATED APPLICATION. IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THE APPLICATION, REINSTALL MISSING FILE. THANX CARON

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
it is the VxD DYNAMJC LINK CALL ERROR. MPFIREWL (01) ERROR :tazz:

caron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this...at the command prompt, type win.com /wx (command line should read C:\WINDOWS>win.com /wx) Note the space between .com and /wx. Press enter. Under normal circumstances, this should load windows in safe mode.

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
got the same CANNOT FIND DEVICE FILE error
caron

Edited by caron, 31 August 2005 - 10:07 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi caron...

I'm a little hesitant to try to edit the registry from dos so I'm going to see if I can get someone with more experience to have a look at this problem. Please be patient...this is a pretty tricky problem without an installation cd. (I don't suppose you could beg, borrow, or steal one of those somewhere?) Hang in there!

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
well, actually a friend is trying to find theirs for me. i'm keeping my fingerrs crossed. would a windows 98 upgrade cd be of any help? why the hesitation editing the registry?

caron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
An upgrade would certainly be as good as gold! If you know someone running Win98, you might ask them to make you a Start Up disk, too. Our problems would just about disappear....

Editing the registry is tricky business from windows and is even trickier from dos. I haven't got a lot of experience manipulating the registry from dos and wuld rather call in a little help than booger your machine up but good...that's the voice of past experience we're hearing.... :tazz:

I've asked peterm to have a look at this thread. In the mood for a little light reading? This thread is why I asked him specifically.

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
i have a disk called microsoft windows 98 upgrade.
will it do?
caron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will if the computer we're fixing is also an upgrade and you have the cd product key (it may be on the cd sleeve or booklet if you have them). It will work anyway if you have a previous version of Windows (ie: 95). You'll still need the key, though. If we can get your machine running without having to reinstall Windows, we can pull the product key out of the registry.

You will need a bootdisk, though...you can download one HERE free. Get the bootdisk that matches the cd you have...either 98 or 98SE.

I'm not sure when peterm will be on...he's from "down under"....not sure of the time difference between here and there, but it's significant. :tazz:

wannabe1

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Caron
Ok sorry if I hash over somethings that have been said or tried.
when you boot and get the error message about
C:\Progra~1\Symantec\symevnt.386.
What happens if you press any key to continue?
and if I ask for to much all at once please say so. I try to get as much info because of the time difference.
When you start your computer does it go to DOS mode or do you have to pick DOS mode.
I gather you can get to dos mode?
When you get to dos mode what is the prompt
C:>
or
C:\windows>

what programs did you run & do you know what files it deleted?
If you can get to the dos prompt
c:\windows>
please type in at the prompt every word I have in blue, when you see the word enter in red this means press the enter button, but remember my rule 2

c:\windows>type autoexec.bat Enter
please write down what is says.. then at the prompt
c:>windows>type config.sys Enter
please write down what it says.
Then post both files
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 01 September 2005 - 04:28 AM.

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
hi! happy to hear from you, and thank you. no problem reviewing stuff. also no problem asking too much at one time, because i just do what ever you ask step by step, so ask away. i'm kinda new at this, and there are a lot of terms and etc that i dont understand or know about. i hope that will be o.k. and not frustrating to you.

o.k. when i press enter it says CANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS. C:\ PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE. then CCANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS. MPFBOCKS.VXD PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE. then INVALID V&D DYNAMIC LINK CALL. YOUR SYSTEM MAY BECOME UNSTABLE IF YOU CONTINUE RUNNING WINDOWS. DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE?
OH, i just got a slightly different error message: WHILE TRYING TO INITIALIZE DEVICE MPFIREWL: INVALID VXD LINK CALL TO DEVICE NUMBER 347F, SERVICE 74. YOUR WINDOWS CONFIGURATION IS INVALID. RUN THE WINDOWS SETUP PROGRAM AGAIN TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

yes, it goes to dos mode with the prompt C:\

o.k. i am now stuck on rule 2, because... you said to enter what is typed in blue with C:\WINDOWS> but i do not have that prompt so i did not type in anything.was that a test???????????

i feel so foolish. i don't know what program i used or what was deleted.

o.k., well i think i covered everything. thank you so much and look forward to trying something else to get this thing going.thank you thank you thank you.

caron

Edited by caron, 01 September 2005 - 05:53 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Caron...

You'll have lots of good help now!

Let's go ahead and add "windows" to the address peterm posted. At the C prompt, add windows> and then type the rest of the address as peterm advised. In example, you will be typing windows>type autoexec.bat

wannabe1

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
super! you guys are great. all you do is type/add windows to the line? :)

thank you! i'm going to do that right now and start posting what comes up. thank you both. wannabe1 you are #1. :tazz:

caron

caron

caron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
wannabe1 :tazz: my prompt is C:\> what should i type in? i already tried one time and i got bad command.

caron