Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with setting up hard drives

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
well im building a new pc and i have a 60gb hd with no os on it
is there a way i can use my 10gb hd im using now on my old pc and use it with my new mobo and maybe ghost this os on the new 60gb drive?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you get a software CD with your new drive? If so it should have what you need. What brand of drive is it? You can go to the makers website and download the software if need be.

But if you end up with two PCs that have the same installatioon of XP on them Microsoft can get mighty suspicious

Edited by Tyger, 29 August 2005 - 09:50 PM.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ya i have the software cd but how can i install a os i dont have a os cd

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

ya i have the software cd but how can i install a os i dont have a os cd

View Post

Where is it??

Murray

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
i never needed the os cd the computer im using now had it preinstalled and it only came with the recover cd :\ anyway can i use this drive and ghost it on the new one with norton ghost?

Edited by fioreskater, 29 August 2005 - 10:04 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Give it a try.. The new hdd should have come with a utilities floppy that would have a program on it to allow you to move everything from the old hhd to the new one!!

As for coming pre-installed with only a recovery cd, just how old is that system that it only had a 10GB hard-drive?? Sounds more like someone installed XP on it for you..

Murray

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
its about 5 years old lol i have windows me on it i installed xp i downloaed off bearshare :\

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

its about 5 years old lol i have windows me on it i installed xp i downloaed off bearshare :\

View Post

We do not assist with pirated software.. Your help in this thread has ended as of now !!!

Thread CLOSED !!!

Murray