Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Far Cry makes me Cry

• Please log in to reply

Talhamid

Talhamid

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently installed an NVidia 6800 GT (256 MB) in my AGP 8X slot. Previously I was using Radeon 9600 XT and Far Cry ran at about 25 fps with Very High settings. With the new card, it defaults to Low settings and looks amazingly flat and ugly.

Also, I cannot seem to patch the game (whether 1.1 or 1.3) - the setup won't run. Can anyone help me please?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make a copy of your save files and then reinstall the game.

Edited by warriorscot, 30 August 2005 - 04:02 AM.

Talhamid

Talhamid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have done THAT as well. Specifically, please tell me if Far Cry REQUIRES the patches for running on 6800GT?

is it possible that mine is a pirated copy so the patches don[t install?

Thoroughly confused. I never thought having a 3D card higher than required would be a sin!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Even a pirated copy will let you install patches, although it should work without patches because i know both a 6800Ultra and 6600GT can play far cry unpatched no bother.
Have you got rid of all of your old ati drivers you might want to use driver cleaner to be sure they are all gone then install the latest nvidia drivers.
If the game didnt come in the proper box with instructions then it is very possible it is pirated and there is no guarantee it will work in that case as some of the data might be corrupted.