Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wonīt start up after freeze

• Please log in to reply

texico

texico

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

my computer has been running well after a motherboard and graphic card exchange 4 weeks ago but last night when I took a glance at the screen it had freezed. Well, I thought, itīs just to start it over again! But it doesnīt work at all.
The powersupply starts and all fans (graphic, cpu, power). Keyboard flashes but usb mouse didnīt lit. Monitor still in standby. Cd/dvd sounds ok.
Something with the motherboard maybe?
I tried to access the computer through the local network thinking itīs maybe the graphic card but no success.

Itīs a MSI K3 Ultra motherboard and a Radeon 9700 graphic card.

Hoping for some clues!

by the way, sorry if thereīs some misspelling (Iīm swedish)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Switch the PC off, switch the monitor off completely, unplug if there isn't a power switch.

Switch the monitor on then boot the PC, keep tapping the F8 key until you get options

Select last known good configuration

If nothing happens, try safe mode with command and then safe mode

You can also try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

texico

texico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Switch the PC off, switch the monitor off completely, unplug if there isn't a power switch.

Switch the monitor on then boot the PC, keep tapping the F8 key until you get options

Select last known good configuration

If nothing happens, try safe mode with command and then safe mode

You can also try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

View Post

Tried but nothing happens. The monitor doesnīt start up at all but I donīt think itīs the graphic card. Doesnīt seem to load bios settings.
Maybe itīs something wrong with the motherboard.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it would start in safe mode then you would know if it was the video adapter drivers

Run a repair from here, this will leave data and programmes alone

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
The first thing I'd do is to open up your case and check all the connections, RAM, IDE etc. You'd have no idea how often this can be the problem, and it can save you a lot of money if you do this before dishing out for a new motherboard or gfx card!

texico

texico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Open up the case was the first thing (after reboot) for me too. Nothing seems to be wrong.
My next thing is to borrow a gfx card to try, then maybe (unfortunately) change motherboard. Also going to strip the computer from all unnecessary things like dvdrom, floppy and such.