Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Failing internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Saturos

Saturos

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there :tazz:

Since Thursday last week, I'm almost experiencing constant internet connection failure. Thursday morning I turned on the computer, and then it all began:
I was online for about 5 minutes, and then I began to receive the message: Cannot find server. So I had to reset the modem, and after that my internet connection was stable again...... for 5 minutes. It went on and off, on and off, etc.
At first, me and my mother thought the provider had some technical difficulties or work-in-progress or something, but according to their website that didn't seem to be the case. Throughout the day, my connection keep failing, in the same patern as I described above.

Friday: The exact same problem. My connection kept switching on and off, on and off. My mother had the same problems on her laptop. My cable connection is connected to my computer via a router, so all the problems I had, my mom had too. Friday night, about 19:00, I resetted the modem again, and my connection was stable for about 4 hours.

Because of my mom's problem with the wireless internet connection on her laptop, a computer technician came to our house. He wired a cable to the laptop, via the router, and the wireless internet problem was solved. We told him about the failing connection and told him that it wasn't work-in-progress of the provider. He thought it may be the cable modem itself, since the connection was established again after the modem was resetted. But then the internet on my computer failed, while my mother had still a flawless connection. So the technician thought it must have been my computer that jammed the signal. He connected a brand-new router, and the problem wasn't solved. After that, he inserted a brandnew network card in my PC, and the problem still wasn't solved. He thought it may be some spyware or something like that. I thought it wasn't the case, but he advised me to completely format my system. And so I did, I re-installed Windows XP, and after that I turned on Internet Explorer. It didn't work at all. Normally it said 'Finding location .....', but I received a completely white screen, while my mothers laptop still had a flawless connection :) . My mother thought I made a mistake during the installation, so to please her I again re-installed Windows XP.

After that, internet still didn't work. I resetted the cable modem, and turned it on again, after that, the connection was stable for about 4 hours. During that time I installed several programmes: AVG Free, Ad-Aware SE, DivX Player, Windows Media Player 10, VLC Media Player and Winamp.
Shortly after that, the internet connection failed again, also the connection on my mothers laptop.
So, naive as she is, she blames me for the failing connection! She says that it must have been one of those programmes I installed. But I have had those programmes for ages on my PC, with no problems.

At this momemt, my connection is stable, for as long as it lasts.
When it fails, I must reset the modem, and than it usually works again.
What could be the problem? My network card? The cable modem?
Please help! It's driving me crazy! :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here for WinsockXPFix

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Saturos

Saturos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, thank you :tazz:
I have run the tool.
Don't know if it necessary, because my connection hasn't failed since last night.
But anyway, thanks for the tip :)
If I still experience difficulties, you will hear from me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well now

Saturos

Saturos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, everything seems in order, untill half an hour ago.
I was running the online Symantec System Check. When I checked the computer, to see the results, I saw that the computer wasn't connected to the internet.
I resetted the modem, and than everything worked fine again (for as long as it may last) :tazz:

What can it be?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the drivers and software for the network card and modem, try from the manufacturers site in case they have more recent ones than the installation CD's

Saturos

Saturos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Don't even know if I still have those CD's, though :)

Anyway, I did as you suggested: I found the drivers for the network card which I downloaded, but for my modem I couldn't find any.
The last few hours my connection has been stable, and I hope it will stay that way.
Thanks for the tip! :tazz: