Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Factory Reset

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Friend has decided to reset his computer back to Factory Settings, although the process initially started well and after being informed that reset was 100% complete a message informs him that there is an: ‘Error #958. Could not open script command file’. On pressing ‘enter’ or ‘Cancel’, screen goes to
‘Set-up’ mode and informs:
Boot from ATAPI cd-rom: Failure.
Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

My previous experience of ‘Factory Reset’ disks has been non-problematic, what has gone wrong here?
I have cleared his CMOS settings and tried factory reset disk again but alas no joy and run into the same error outputs, there is also an unnerving short beep when comp is booting up which I can’t identify.
BIOS is set to boot from cd-rom and is also set at ‘Optimised Settings’.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to set up then change from optimised to fail safe or BIOS defaults

Run set up