Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Speakers Arnt Working

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Call (800) 227-8164 between 5 AM and 5 PM Pacific Time, Monday thru Friday.

Advertisements

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
ok... wen i go to the site can u like walk me through wat i am suppossed to do... im confused?.... :tazz:

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
O MAN! now my computer is being mean and running really weird.... :tazz:.. y must my computer be so frustrating!

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i guess ill just have to burn 1.. but i have no idea how.. the site is kinda confusing me.. :tazz:.. please can u walk me through it?

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
ok.. i have 1 last idea.. ive had a system recovery b4.. i didnt need a disk or anything.. all i did was i was told to tap the f8 key.. then tap thw f10 key.. i think its callled like a manual system recovery(or somthing like that).. can i do that?

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Are you sure you can't talk your dad into letting you open his box? Explain that you desperately need to copy the CD. :tazz: If not, this is what I found, first for trying the recovery that came with the unit, but notice the part I highlighted. Still, give it a try. If that doesn't work, I gave instructions for ordering a set. It seems they only charge you a minimal cost (shipping and the price of CDs), but you'll have to probably prove you own the machine. Do you have the receipt for it?

This document pertains to HP or Compaq Desktop PCs that come with recovery CD creation software.

HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP and Compaq Presario Desktop PCs made in spring of 2003 and later already come with a hidden preloaded recovery partition. This hidden partition can be used to recover all of the original software in the event of a major problem by pressing the F10 key repeatedly when the computer is first started. However, there may be times when recovery CDs are needed to restore the computer, like when a virus destroys the recovery partition. By using the Recovery CD Creator program, you can create a physical set of recovery CDs from which you can restore your computer back to its original condition.

Recovery CD Creator software comes on HP and Compaq Desktop PCs made in Spring of 2003 and later. It is strongly recommended making a recovery CD set before experiencing any problems. If your HP or Compaq desktop computer with Windows XP does not have the HP Recovery CD Creator software or if recovery CDs were not created before the recovery partition was damaged or erased, contact HP Support for assistance with obtaining recovery discs .

The Recovery CD Creator program can be used to make only one set of recovery CDs for the PC. The recovery CD set contains a complete set of the original operating system, drivers, and application software that shipped with the PC.

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph08097

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR:

2: Order recovery CDs on the Web
To order CDs on the Web, perform the following steps. Costs are minimal and only cover the cost of manufacturing and shipping.

NOTE: A credit card number is required for ordering recovery discs.

Go to the HP Partsurfer Web site (in English). The Parts Direct Ordering Web site uses a secure connection to protect your privacy.

Select your country from the drop-down menu in the top-right corner of the page.

Enter the model name (for example, 533w, 5002US, or XE735). The model name is located on a sticker that is stuck to the case of the PC.

Click the appropriate model name from the list that appears. If more than one model name appears, refer to the product number or part number on the identification sticker on the back of the PC.

NOTE: The recovery CD set or DVD is matched to specific PC models. It is important to select the correct model name or an error can occur when using them.

Select Recovery Kit from the by keyword dropdown.

A new page appears containing a list of all orderable software. This document only covers recovery kits. If the word recovery is not in the description or you can not select any quantity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer. This can happen when the operating system on the recovery discs is obsolete and HP's supply of discs has run out.

Write down the part number of the recovery kit for future reference.

Type the quantity of recovery kits you wish to order (1) into the QTY field of the recovery kit part number. If you can not select any quantity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer.

Click Order Selected Parts and then read and fill out all of the screens that appear.

A red check mark may appear, the part can still be ordered if it is available.

http://h10025.www1.h...bph07143#N10048

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
ok.... my cpmputer is acting VERY weird.. its goin like super slow all of a sudden... ever since last night wen i was installing those new virus protectors..(u recommended them 2 me... u gave me a list of websites)... my computer has been really slow.. then wen i turned it on this morning my trial version of norton 2005 said it found a worm at startup.. it was called like svchost.exe... or somthing like that.. then it asked if i should allow it or not.. is said not to allow it.. then wen i was trying 2 follow the intructions u gave me to burn my own recovery cd it said that i needed to click on the start menu... etc... wen i put my mouse over the toolbar on the bottom of my screen it turned 2 an hour glass and wont let me click on anything for my toolbar???? wat is going on!??!? i kno that i need to get that cd ASAP.. but my evil computer is preventing me.. i dont kno wat is going wrong??

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
ok.. weirdly now my computer is back to normal??? i have no idea wat is goin on.. lol... then norton 2005 said i have a netspy trojan horse..... the worst part is i think i am completely infested with viruses and trojans.. but every scan comes up with diffrent ones... :tazz:.. o well.. im going back to try to burn the recovery CD again..

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
O MY GOSH! my computer is really starting to frustrate me... and i am probably frustrating u with all of these problems.. :tazz: .. sorry.. here is my problem again.. wen i went on the site... it said that i need to

step1...Click Start, All Programs.
step2...Then choose the option bellow that applies for your computer:
For HP Pavilion and Media Center PCs, click Hewlett-Packard and then HP PC Recovery CD Cd to start the program.
Click PC Help & Tools and then HP CD Recovery CD-DVD Creator to start the program. .....

i get past step 1 and i can click hewlett packard.. but then my computer has none of those options.. after heweltt packard it says "Hp pavilion pc tools, HP photosmart cameras, and memory disc...??? all of those topics i just listed have drop down arrows after them.. but wen i click the drop down arrow.. there is still no match to the ones listed on the web site??

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
OK! I think it said in the instructions that if you don't get that option, your pc didn't come with it. They have a great section here on how to remove viruses/spyware/adware/malware, but with your limited experience, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND bugging your dad for his CD. HEY! It's Christams, maybe he'll spften up. If not, then you'll need to order one. Merry Christams! And, remember the reason for the season! :tazz:

Edited by Julio, 25 December 2004 - 12:06 PM.

Advertisements

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
O MY GOSH!!!! wen i turned on my computer this morning.. MY SPEAKERS WORKED!!!! :tazz:! lol... u said they had a section where u can remove viruses/spyware/adware/malware.. wat site is that?? Merry Christmas!!

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!! :tazz:

Here:

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
ok.. cool! lol.. i have a question though... i do prefer Firefox over IE.. but i am not able to download anyhthing, scan (like at Macafee.com.. etc.) with firefox.. i can however with IE.... but i want ot use firefox becuase i heard that is it better than IE....??

VirusGirl123

VirusGirl123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
do u think i should still need to use a system recovery disk?? and is my system restore suppossed 2 always be turned on.... because mine isnt?

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
People prefer Mozilla over IE because it's more secure. The majority of users use IE so more bad stuff is written for it. You can have both on your machine. Use Mozilla until you encounter a problem with something you need, then switch to IE for that.

I use IE exclusively and have NEVER had a problem with it, but then I'm very diligent when it comes to security issues.

YES! You should get a recovery CD. Some day, some time, you WILL need it. It's just not critical that you get it right away now. But I wouldn't put it off--unless you think Dad will be opening his box sometime in the near future. ;)

For you, I recommend that YES, use your system recovery. :tazz: