Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected Malware [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

minimijon

minimijon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
after typing in 'r' for the recovery console, it takes me into dos. I have to type in commands, which are listed after i type 'help'. what should i type in?

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command

minimijon

minimijon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
im not sure which of the commands i am meant to be using to fix my problems, could you tell me please?

Thanks for all your help so far :tazz:

Edited by minimijon, 31 August 2005 - 09:25 AM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

minimijon

minimijon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The recovery console wasnt helping, so i reinstalled windows instead. This has fixed my problem, thanks for all your help. :tazz: :) :)

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.