Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Smileyhoke

Smileyhoke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is a bit of a long story cause we attempted to fix the problem ourselves.

Initially my friends computer froze whilst loading up Windows XP. We decided to try and repair win xp, but we couldn't do that for some reason in the same computer (unable to boot from cd). I took the hard disk out and slaved it in my computer. I was able to access all the files whilst like this, and copied across some of the files as a backup in this second computer. I then proceeded to place the hard disk as a master and then boot up windows (in my computer!). This time it didn't freeze but came up with the blue screen with the following -

***Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf9e49640, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I then repaired the win xp installation using the win xp cd. It failed to completly repair on the first time round, having a cyclic reduncancy check on one of the early files, and then rebooting the computer. When setup restarted, it proceeded normally and finished the repair. But when it started to load windows for the first time, the same blue screen came up! So I installed a second copy of windows in the second partition of the drive, and this version of windows loaded and ran perfectly well on my computer.

I then returned the hard disk to the original computer and attempted to boot up, only to find that nothing worked again (blue screen). To confound things, I used a perfectly good hard disk from another computer and placed that as a master in the first computer and attempted to boot up from that, and that came up with the blue screen also! I then changed the position of the hard disk with the cables, using the ide1 instead of ide0 (I hope that makes sense) just trying to check whether there was a cable or motherboard problem. This didn't affect the loading, and it still blue screened.

This is the situation as it lies currently. We don't seem to be able to physcially pin it down to anything. By the way, I also ran an uptodate virus check on the hard drive whilst it was slaved in my computer! My friends computer specs are -

60gb Western Digital hard disk with 3way partition (one windows, media and films)
AMD athalon cpu 1.9ghz
Motherboard - MSI DDR 745 Ultra with 256 DDR ram

Please please please could someone help us out or give us some advice as to what to do?!?!?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like your friends computer has problems other than the hard drive, chipset, BIOS or memory problems causing it not to boot up. Booting up consists of loading files from the hard drive to the memory using the CPU to perform that task, guided by the BIOS (basic input output system) and any of those could cause the hard drive to not function correctly. Have you by any chance tried another hard drive in his computer? I know that most people (unlike myself) don't just have a bunch of hard drives laying around, but if you do you might try.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You are going about your troubleshooting all wrong, you can't install windows on one machine and expect it to work on another that will never work bug free and alot of the time will not boot into windows without errors.

With what you have explained you have everthing backed up so do a clean install of windows by placing the hdd drive back in your friends computer.

Can this machine boot into bios? If so you need to change the boot order in bios to 1st floppy, 2nd cdrom, 3rd hdd. This will let you boot from cd to install windows.

If you can't boot into bios post back with details on what happens when you try along with your full system specs and we can troubleshoot other things.

Rick