Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware ZIP Files and MS Word problem

• Please log in to reply

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just had my computer cleaned and it is working great!

I was unzipping a file and noticed that in this folder:

c:windows\Appplication Data\Spybot-Search & Destroy\Recovery

There are zip files of all the spyware programs that Spybot located. There are more than one version of them and they go on as 1, 2, 3, etc. Here are some of the ones I saw:

Abetterinternet
CallingHomeBiz
CoolWWWSearch
CoolWWWSearchAboutBlank
DSOExploit
FunWeb
ExactAdvertisingBargainsBuddy
FunWebProducts
HotSearchBar
LookMeTopConcevting
MyWebSearch
IE Plugin
BackWeblite
WildTanget
NetworkEssentailSmartpopOOP

Spy bot got hung up a few times when I was running it or maybe I did something incorrectly that kept these files out on my hard drive?

Should they still be there? Can they and should they be deleted?

One other question:

All my programs are running fine except my MS Word program. I have the MS Office XP Standard version.

When I had my spyware problems, I had tried to update a document in MS Word. It doesn't work now. When I click on New Document or try to go into it from the Start menu under Programs, the MS Word initial screen shows up and stays there.

The last time I tried it said there was a problem with MS Word and it was going to open it up in Safe Mode. In safe mode, it said something about doing a virus scan....??? and then got hung up and never finished anything.

I have to end task to cancel it and then I get the meesage:

NAVW32 has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

PowerPoint, Acess and Excel start and seem to be working fine.

If you need me to to run another HJT report first, let me know. Thanks again!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To remove the unwanted files from the recovery folder, go to Spybot -> Recovery -> and select the item(s) that you no longer want to keep. Use the "Purge selected items" option on the top of the screen.

It sounds as if your Norton may be corrupt. Usually uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling will correct this. I am guessing the Office protection feature of Norton is messing with Word as well.

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was able to purge the files.

And yes, I fixed the MS Word problem by deleting Norton. It was corrupted.

Thanks for your help!