Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hdd space

• Please log in to reply

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Hi there all, i have just set up my sata raid using a 120gb hdd, and a 80 (both seagate barricuda ) in a stripe formation with an additional partition anyway windows only sees 152gb , even allowing for the formatted space should be atleast 170gb if not alitle more, i got all the obvious like latest sata drivers ect and yes when i installed windows it only saw 152gb, is this the limit for sata raid, any help appreciated.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Actually I would have thought Windows would have only seen 149 GB (your 80 GB HDD must be about 82 GB), this is due to 2 effects.

1. Hard drive manufacturers cheat and use decimal GB (1,000,000,000) rather than binary GB (1,073,741,824), thereby overstating capacity by approximately 7%

2. RAID controllers will give you double the capacity of the smaller drive, so you'll get 2* 80 GB rather than 80 + 120 GB

PS Is it really worth it? If one drive goes bad you lose the data from both, better back up often!

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Actually I would have thought Windows would have only seen 149 GB (your 80 GB HDD must be about 82 GB), this is due to 2 effects.

1. Hard drive manufacturers cheat and use decimal GB (1,000,000,000) rather than binary GB (1,073,741,824), thereby overstating capacity by approximately 7%

2.  RAID controllers will give you double the capacity of the smaller drive, so you'll get 2* 80 GB rather than 80 + 120 GB

PS Is it really worth it? If one drive goes bad you lose the data from both, better back up often!

View Post

got 150gb backup tape drive in there it is backed up reguarly, and the speed differance due to the stripe array is fornominal, thanks for the advice, much appreciated so, i can only use the 120gb hdd as a 80 effectively is that what u r saying?

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes, your 120 GB HDD will only appear as an 80 GB HDD when in a RAID array with an 80 GB HDD.

When striping the controller alternates blocks between the two drives, so when you reach the end of the smaller drive this is no longer possible, hence the limit.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh i understand that much, just thought there would be an over run feature so the excess was still usable by working in normal mode, a idea to consider in the future anyway cheers.