Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Web Hosting

• Please log in to reply

raanank

raanank

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently reformatted my old computer (with an AMD processor). I also have a static IP address from my service provider and a Belkin router. I want to turn my computer into a server/website where I can store files and access them from the internet (ie: outside my network). Is this possible with linux and Apache? I'm not sure what distro and what product of Apache I need. Also, what steps should I take to get it running? Does anyone know what products/approach works best for my situation?

Thanks!

- Raanan

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If you want ease of use I suggest Fedora Core 4 for this, then do a search for LAMP server on Google to get the steps required to install a Linux/Apache/mySQL/PHP(Perl) server.

FC4 is easy to setup and if you are feeling lazy you can let it do the majority of configuration and setup of the LAMP server for you.

raanank

raanank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks, I'll try that!