Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Installed--Windows XP Wont Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

AIRLINE

AIRLINE

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In early August, I installed a rather large update of McAfee Virus Scan.

Since that time, I cannot get Windows XP to shut down or retstart my computer by clicking on the icons that are available when you click start.

The computer says it's shutting down, but it just sits there until I manually press the power button to turn off the computer.

I have tried solving this problem at McAfee's web site, to no avail.

I did remove McAfee altogether and rebooted and was able to both shutdown and restart the computwer. Once I re-installed McAfee again, the computer has the same problem, not being able to either shutdown or restart from the start icon.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by AIRLINE, 30 August 2005 - 01:11 PM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: eventvwr.msc.
Press <enter>.
After the "Event Viewer" is open.
Go through the Application, System and Security Logs.
In the right-pane of the window, you will have various events.
Can you check if you have events at the same time as you shutdown; post the event-number and Source of these events in your next reply.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In addition to darth-ash's suggestioin you can open Task Amanager and close any related programs before you try shutting down. Some antispyware programs may not let you shut them down, you may need to go into their controls and change some option. You may be able to shut it down from the System Tray too.

Zimo

Zimo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop is doing the same thing. I disabled Mcafee McShield and the shutdown is normal. Trouble is, when is disabled there is no virus protection :tazz: