Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy Question re: wininet.dll (PSguard got me)

• Please log in to reply

jslanni

jslanni

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Windows XP and after messing with SpyBot, NAV, attempting AdAware (it always locked up), I downloaded Avast! to try to get rid of PSguard. It couldn't repair it, si I stupidly deleted the file, and of course now I can't get online because I'm missing wininet.dll.

Here's where the easy part comes in: I have another computer with XP, but I've forgotten how to copy the file in DOS onto a disk and transfer it onto my puter with DOS. Can anyone remind me?

Thanks!

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hey jslanni

Windows keeps an extra copy (clean copy) of this file on-board.
you can follow all these steps on the infected machine

I need you to reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit Enter.

Then go into this folder (it will be hidden so make sure hidden files are showing!):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE

Inside the "DLLCACHE" folder, locate wininet.dll. Right-click on it and choose "copy" (NOT cut!).

Then go back into C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-click an open space and choose "Paste"

Reboot and tell me if it worked and I would advise posting a hijack log to clean your system

Thanks

Edited by loophole, 30 August 2005 - 09:01 PM.

jslanni

jslanni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you! I ended up using another computer to download the file from one of those dll file websites to my flash jump drive and copying it to c:/windows/system32 and that got me running again. I'm still having random odd problems- should I still follow your instructions, or will that only duplicate the steps I have taken?

I'll do a search for hijackthis- I'm not sure of what that is.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hello Jslani :tazz:

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by loophole, 01 September 2005 - 02:39 PM.