Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Your System is Infected"

• Please log in to reply

derunt15

derunt15

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few days ago I was completing an online search-- suddenly my desktop was replaced by a blue background and a text box which stated "Your computer is infected." Many icons were added to my desktop. 3 Red circles with white x's appearred on the bar near my clock. When I restart the computer, many dos windows open with a diagonally shifting cursor. SpySheriff (a program I didn't have before) opens but nothing else will after the computer has been running for about 30 seconds. It also says that my task manager has been disabled by my administrator.

I don't even know where to start--any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

MicroBell

MicroBell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi and Welcome to G2G

Before attacking an adware/spyware problem with hijackthis make sure you have already run the following tools. Download and update the databases on each program before running.Also make sure you are using the the latest version (1.99.1) of HijackThis and it's installed in it's own folder on the root drive. (C:\HJT)

Once you complete those steps please download and run a scan with hijackthis save it's log and post it here. We will then continue with the removal of spysheriff and that screen.

Edited by MicroBell, 31 August 2005 - 01:37 PM.

derunt15

derunt15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I didn't post my log because I couldn't even get into the system. I finally got it started in safe mode and ran ewido. It found about 200 infected files. It will now start in regular mode but it's really slow and constantly microsoft anti spy, adaware and ewido catch infected files. I'm planning on waiting until they're clear and running scandisk and defrag. Now that I can get in, I'll try to post my log as soon as possible. (Hopefully this afternoon.)

Thank you so much for your help!