Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Pro users list disapeared

• Please log in to reply

jjv3115

jjv3115

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had serious spyware, virus etc..... I ran your list of clean up programs which cleaned all problems. When I resatrted my Windows XP Pro I did not have access to any of the other 4 users but just myself. The files folders are there but the Windows XP Pro program does not have the "switch users" exe file anymore to allow switching users. How can I repair Windows to recognize multi users and bring back all the settings including Outlook mail. :tazz:

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Start/Control Panel/Users Accounts/Change the way users logon or logoff...Click
Use Fast User Switching.........

jjv3115

jjv3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I do that I get the following message:
A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that amde the change: athgina.dll".

What program do you think that is?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
what is the last software you installed?

Edited by Tony_1983, 30 August 2005 - 10:53 PM.

jjv3115

jjv3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The last software I installed was the recomendation list you had on your website for virus problems. It took care of all viruses but I think I allowed one of the rsults to delete some files I should not have. I don,t know how to get it back.

Jacques

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Do you know what software that was?

jjv3115

jjv3115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think it was Hijack this.

JonCLP

JonCLP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this same situation just happen to me - after my laptop crashed, and I reinstalled all of the programs. At first, I was able to choose from a list of users, but soon after I installed one of the driver programs, that changed. I believe that it is because of Atheros, a wireless utility that comes with my laptop... Can this be fixed without deleting the program because I need it?
Thanks to all.

kuranuk

kuranuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, athgina.dll is installed by some Atheros Drivers installations provided by third-party vendors. It's no security risk or anything, just a little annoying. It's simple to remove:

Go to regedit, search for the key 'GinaDLL' with value athgina.dll. If you want to go there manually, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

And delete the key GinaDLL. As soon as you delete, your system will be restored to fast user switching, if you had it set to that before.

Just as a future precaution, I'd bookmark this key, too. Although the Atheros dll is harmless, more malicious code can insert its own dll here, so it'd be wise to have a quick path to this key if you experience problems later.

JonCLP

JonCLP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the help... it's appreciated. I will try the fix within the day. :tazz:

g30n30

g30n30

• Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you for the help me