Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Temp files?

• Please log in to reply

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
For some unknown reason lately whenever I attempt to open an internet file, my XP wants to attempt to download the file instead of simply opening it. ANy assistance is greatly appreciated. It appears to be something associated with temp files?

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
What internet file are you trying to open?

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
To open ANY internet file you MUST download it first.. UNLESS you created the file or have received it via methods other than through the internet. Such as a webpage, if you wanted to view it you would have to download the html file aswell as the pictures and other features if needed, unless you already had the file saved to disk.

Edited by mpy, 31 August 2005 - 04:33 AM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
It depends some files cannot be opened and has to be downloaded! And maybe you have changed some setting? Give me more time on this!
RockyIV

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

For some unknown reason lately whenever I attempt to open an internet file, my XP wants to attempt to download the file instead of simply opening it.  ANy assistance is greatly appreciated.  It appears to be something associated with temp files?

View Post

Just also wondering are you trying to access some sites via the temp folder?
If so, why?

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I probably was not clear enough, sorry. I used to be able to open a website which had a movie attached which went to my Windows media player. Now what is happening is that many of the same web sites with the short movies want to download it instead of actually playing it. Make better sense? Thx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Media Player, click tools, options, file types and make it the default player, especially for the type of file you want to stream

Probably if you installed another media player recently, it grabbed the default for the file type

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much for your help. Some of them were not checked or were either shaded dark for some reason. Works great (again)
G

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know