Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fragmented Outlook Express files on XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

nyspy

nyspy

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a user with a very slow XP Pro box. We ran antivirus and spyware programs, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

When I tried to defrag the hard drive, I ran into some problems. Three registry files from Outlook Express were listed as highly fragmented, and XP defrag could not fix them. One of them, listing the "Deleted Items" folder was fragged into 6,000 files at 2GB!

I just want to completely delete OE but can't do it from Add/Remove in the Control panel. What other method can I use to delete these files/

Thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try booting into Safe Mode.. Open OE and clean out the "deleted items" folder.. Seems to me to be the most logoical way of going about it!!

Murray

nyspy

nyspy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry, should have mentioned that I already booted in safe, scanned, defragged and removed all files from the deleted items folder.

The files that won't defrag start with HKEY, so they must be embedded in the registry. I even tried registry cleaner, but no luck.

Any other suggs?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Search the Registry itself and delete from there..

Didn't think Defrag did anything to the Registry as those would be located in the "System Files" area during defrag and are never touched!!

Murray

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
The registry, pagefile and eventlog and be defragmented using Sysinternal's PageDefrag tool, download link:
www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html.
Unzip the .zip file, open the .exe.
Choose the Defrag on next boot option in it.