Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Repair problem

• Please log in to reply

Britt

Britt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer went nuts on me today, (wouldn't boot windows, blue screen saying something about a registry error, reboot and same thing happens) and i thought id have to take it in. However, i found my xp install cd and went to repair it, and now im stuck. I get to the black screen, (MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP™ Recovery Console. ... Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?)

I press 1 and am never prompted for the admin password. It only lets me type the 1 and nothing else (i don't know if this is normal?) I've searched here, google, yahoo, ask jeeves, and a bunch of other places and no one else seems so be having this problem.

I've pressed enter, which just canceled it. I let it sit, (which it stll is) and nothing has happened. I REALLY don't want to take the computer in, PLEASE tell me that im just really stupid and theres something so obviously easy for me to do to correct this problem.
Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to GTG Britt. See if this post helps:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

Britt

Britt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i get to the end user agreement screen and it goes from there to another blue screen saying something about a REGISTRY_ERROR. :/ My computer is so screwed.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well here it gets more difficult. Could be memory errors, a bad CD-ROM drive, a motherboard or hard drive error, or just a dirty CD. Try cleaning the CD. If that doesn't work, you might want to consider visiting a local computer shop. :tazz: