Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't run any .exe

• Please log in to reply

blissenden

blissenden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can see every .exe running in Windows Task Manager at 95%+, but nothing happens.....That includes HelpCtr.exe, if I try to get to the system tools, or, winzip32.exe, if I'm trying to unzip something.

I've checked the registry...the exefile is set to "%1" %*

This all seems to have started when I decided to installed Netscape 8.0 and uninstalled my 7.2 version....Could all be coincidence, of course.

I can't install any new software, but, I had Spybot....It didn't find anything.

I upgraded to Windows XP from ME....I can't install the operating system again.

I checked....I don't have a good restore point to fall back on.

I'm kinda of figuring I may have to buy a new PC.

Anyone have any other suggestions? (Be nice!)

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey Blissenden,

Welcome to Geeks To Go.

This sounds like it could be a malware case.

Please click Here and follow the instructions.

Edited by Tony_1983, 30 August 2005 - 09:56 PM.

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Instead of buying a new PC you could always format your drive and re-install your OS...

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Instead of buying a new PC you could always format your drive and re-install your OS...

View Post

This is the best thing to do IF all else fails.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I agree with Tony who is doing a great job here, if you just reformat/reinstall each time then one learns very little about the day to day running of your machine whereas trying to cure your machine with the tools and advice given here means you will know what to do when you dare not reformat/reinstal for fear of losing important data. btw, we have a lot of people in the shop using "upgrade the os" as a solution but they don't do a clean upgrade from blanc instead trying to incorperate bit of the old system into the news one, also XP home makes a lot more demand on your system both in terms of disk space and ram usage.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I agree fleamailman,

Reformatting the computer when it is not needed is a waste of time, cause there is 9/10 a way around it.

Man I hate redoing my computer as it takes me ages sometimes to have things how I want it including system restrictions

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I've checked the registry...the exefile is set to "%1" %*

View Post

Good; But did you check if the value of (Default) is exefile in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe key

Edited by darth_ash, 31 August 2005 - 07:58 AM.

Mdog73

Mdog73

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not at the point of reformatting and reinstalling xp, but can someone point me to a how to reformat and reinstall windows xp instructions, just in case it does come to that. I've never done it.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I'm not at the point of reformatting and reinstalling xp, but can someone point me to a how to reformat and reinstall windows xp instructions, just in case it does come to that. I've never done it.

View Post

Please do a new posting of your own. Then ask your question.

This makes it less confussing for memeber and Staff.