Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes Randomly

• Please log in to reply

Jordock

Jordock

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My computer that I built two months ago started having a wierd problem about five days ago. It just freezes and locks up after being on for a while (usually on the desktop screen or the login screen if I logged out and left it alone for a while). I have been unable to figure out how long it takes to freeze up but I think its been anywhere from a half hour to almost 4 hours. I have scanned for spyware and viruses using Spybot, AdAware, AVG Free, Microsoft Antispyware, and Ewido Security Suite and I have checked to determine that my computer is not overheating (temps on processor, hard drives, and video card are all low) and have run programs such as MemTest and MemTest86 to make sure it wasn't a problem with the RAM. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how I can fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jordock...Welcome to G2G!

Have you installed any software or drivers lately? Does the timing of the problem have a correlation to installing Windows Updates (either automatically or manually)?

I ran into a very similar problem on a friends computer today. The problem has been so random that I have had quite a time getting to the bottom of it. The problem turned out to be printer software that started failing shortly after a Windows Update session. The hangs were not associated with actually using the printer.

Click "Start" and then "Run". Type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok"...Look in the list of applications for any "red X" designators...check to see if it is the same application or event that is hanging every time. The next time your system hangs, reboot and check the events log immediately to see what issues caused the hang.

keep us posted on your progress.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 August 2005 - 09:30 PM.

Bobc2

Bobc2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've had the freeze problem as well, random and unpredictable. It can happen any place, anywhere. I've had it since I first bought the PC a year ago, so it has nothing to do with updates. In my case, it freezes and then clears (usually 1 to 2 minutes). There are no event log entries that coincide with the freezes, so i don't think its a windows issue. There are no hardware conflicts shown either. I've just about given up on this one. I suspected the graphic card driver as well and sent a note to NVIDIA and received no response as expected.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to Bobc2...this thread is almost 3 years old...start a new topic in the xp forum...you should always start a new thread of your own because its confusing to the helpers when you have several people replying and asking questions when their systems can be so different...thanks

88kat

88kat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Had the problem about a month after I built the system, so I have installed new drivers, but there is no difference. updates are done manually. Have tried the event viewer many times and it gives error #7000 on start up only and there is no error just before freeze up.I do have a HP officejet 5610 and a
Nvidia geforce 7800gtx.

seo6421

seo6421

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If your computer freezes ramdonly. Click on the link to get help and know more. I got help there myself.

Edited by seo6421, 11 September 2009 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This thread is 3 years old and I believe the OP has not responded in some time now.