Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV as second monitor

• Please log in to reply

milimandal

milimandal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have a WIndows XP Dell 5100 laptop. I bought a S-video to RCA converter cable to watch videos played on my laptop on TV. I have used it a few times and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I dunno why. I think there is some particular way that it works, but I have always been able to use it by hit and trial. I remember reading abt connecting one thing 1st and then other in the manual, but have misplaced it.

I shut everything down first, then connect the cable. Then I start the TV and then the computer. Nothing happens when I hit Fn F8. The TV screen blinks but nothing happens.

Also, I read in some forums that we go the 'Display', 'Setting' and then 'Advanced'. I don't see any TV options there. My computer shows 2 monitors, but both are named Mobility Radeon. How do I connect my laptop to my TV? How do I add TV as a monitor. Please help.

One more thing: when I use the 'extend my monitor' thing, then i start seeing stuff on TV. But that basically expands my monitor, which is not what I want. BUt this means that the TV is recognized.

Thanks,
Mili

Edited by milimandal, 30 August 2005 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here

http://support.dell....d_documentation

download your manual

install adobe acrobat reader if you need it

go to page 59

milimandal

milimandal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the link. I still can't get it to work. I do all the connections as mentioned. Then it says that I should enable the Display setting for TV, which is where the problem is. I don't see any TV button in the Display>Setting>Advanced tab. There is no 'Display' tab after hitting Advanced tab either. And no tabs related to TV at all. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP. How do I enable TV in the laptop?

Thanks for your help.

Mili