Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Doesn't boot beyond PCI Device Listing

• Please log in to reply

mallettero

mallettero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am working on a PC for somebody who's had problems booting the computer and was getting beeps (constant) and no video display. I resolved it several times by pushing the CPU (Athlon OEM brown chip). Finally it happened to the point it wouldn't come back. Thought it might be the board (MSI all onboard). Replaced that with a cheapo Asus board and still had a similar issue....got it to boot once after pushing on the processor and then wouldn't boot again. So now I t ry another AMD CPU and it appears to work so I get a new Athlon XP processor (2800) that is not compatible with the first board but is with the Asus. But now I see funny looking double arrows on the PCI device listing (where you see bus no's, device class and IRQ settings, etc while POSTing. I can boot to a windows cd and have tried to reinstall Windows without wiping the partition the current one (don't want to lose the data). Never boots beyone the POST.

I suspect it has something to do with the controllers (perhaps I have the oem MSI mainboard drivers installed and Windows doesn't recognize the new hardware upon booting up). I have not tried changing out the memory. Is it possible I am using the wrong memory with the new board and processor? Do I have more than one problem here?

Thanks to anyone who can help. :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

you are going to have to give us the system specs please include the cpu, motherboard model, ram and powersupply. If we know this we can see if the ram is compatable and check the setup if need be.

Make sure you clear the cmos and load the bios defaults

I suggest you also slave the drive in another computer and get the data you need then do a format and reinstall of the operating system, this maybe all that is needed. The install of the OS curently on the drive would contain drivers that are not compatible with the new board and cause the problems you are having.

Sometimes a repair install of XP will work but I have never had any luck doing so, there always ends up having some sort of errors requiering a clean install.

Rick