Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Help Not Loading

• Please log in to reply

metaxy6

metaxy6

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
When I go to Windows Help in ME it just hangs and hangs. I can't get it to load, even after waiting as long as 20 mins. What's up?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by metaxy6, 30 August 2005 - 09:01 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When in doubt run system file checker. Go to Start>Run, type in sfc, hit OK, follow the prompts. You may need your installation disk. If that doesn't work you may need to extract a new version of the help file. If that doesn't work you may have a malware or other problem.

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Is it safe to run the system file check as you suggest if I don't have the installation disk?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Is it safe to run the system file check as you suggest if I don't have the installation disk?

View Post

Yes, but it may not be able to find the file. You may have them in a Install folder or in Windows\options\cabs, just point to them if they are there. You can use any disk that has the Install folder, just point to it.

Edited by Tyger, 31 August 2005 - 01:36 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You are going to wait along time for SFC to run on a WinME system.. WinME doesn't have SFC!!!

The System File Checker is a tool that was introduced in Windows 98, and then dropped in Windows Millenium Edition, and then re-introduced in Windows XP. It is described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;185836

Murray

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
So where does that leave me in the effort to get Windows help to load?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
So that leaves you with the option of extracting the file from the cabinets. Phoo on Microsoft for removing a good tool.

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok, don't see help in win> options > cabs.
when i search for help files/folders, a lot of files/folders show up.

what is to be done?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

ok, don't see help in win> options > cabs. 
when i search for help files/folders, a lot of files/folders show up.  

what is to be done?

View Post

So you have the cab files? It's in there, the cabinet files are somewhat compressed files that hold many other files in a zipped format. If you have Winzip or Winrar you can open them to view the contents. If you don't you may still be able to right click and view them. I don't have a list of what is in each cabinet file, but such lists exist on the web. You can use the extract tool in the cabs folder to extract teh file to the correct folder.

In win ME the actual cabinets are usually in
Windows\options\Install

Edited by Tyger, 31 August 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
msxml.dll is a module part of Internet Explorer 4.o or newer. The component can parse XML documents

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;276995

Maybe you can install / re-install IE6

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

msxml.dll is a module part of Internet Explorer 4.o or newer. The component can parse XML documents

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;276995

Maybe you can install / re-install IE6

View Post

That link on the page about extracting and replacing a file is very informative. It seems that in ME the System Configuration Utility more or less replaces the System File Checker.

metaxy6

metaxy6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The link promised to be very helpful, but...there was a snag.

The System Info will not load.

The link instructs:
(in safe mode)

2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
3. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility to start the System Configuration Utility tool.

The Sys Info hangs the same way Help does....it will not load to give me the Tools menu.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.