Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply

slinky

slinky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm a noob here and really need some help. When I try to boot my laptop, XP begins loading and then I get the BSOD with the following message:

Stop: c000021a{fatal system error} the windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000033 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down

I am trying to recover some important documents that are saved in Shared Documents and My Documents folders. I understand if I reinstall Windows, I will probably lose these files. This is an OEM XP Home install.

I have Googled the error message and found no help there. These are the steps I've taken so far:

1. tried to restart in safe mode and tried restart with last known good configuration. Resulted in same message.
2. created a Windows XP bootable disk. Message I got was "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file"
3. booted from the XP CD but there was no option to repair the XP install
4. booted from XP CD and used the Recovery Console to execute a chkdsk /r. Resulted in same BSOD.

I am an intermediate-level user and do not know how to use all the commands of the recovery console. I would appreciate any assistance in recovering my files. I'm trying to avoid taking my laptop apart if possible. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Have you installed SP1 or SP2 yet??

Or, follow the Repair Procedure from Microsoft..

Murray

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the welcome.

SP2 was installed with all of the latest updates. I found the MS repair procedures but am afraid of losing my files since this is an OEM install of XP Losing data

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Repair XP with pictures

You will have to re-install all critical updates, hotfixes, etc but your personal files/programs shouldn't be affected at all!!

If you want any chance to get them, the repair option is your ONLY option!!

Murray

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've gone through those steps, but I don't get a repair option. Set up goes straight to selecting a partition for windows installation. Seems like it doesn't recognize windows is installed.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are you using a legitimate full install XP cd and not one of those Recovery/Restore things??

Murray

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I used a Dell reinstallation CD.

I just tried a Windows XP upgrade CD (the only other XP CD I have). After hitting F8, a screen popped up saying "setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer."

Thanks,
Rich

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Is you windows XP upgrade cd legitimate?
Where did you get it from?

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes. Retail purchase.

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Use your cd to install xp again so you can dual boot.. Then chooce the new xp installation and log into that..

Back up your important files.. Then format your hard drive, re-install windows and then copy your backed up files onto your hard drive..

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I used a Dell reinstallation CD.

View Post

Therefore you must have a Dell system.. Have you tried contacting them to see how you do a repair using one of their Restore cd's??

Murray

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
[quote name='mpy' date='Aug 31 2005, 12:17 AM']
Use your cd to install xp again so you can dual boot.. Then chooce the new xp installation and log into that..

During installation I don't get a choice of installing to a specfic folder. Maybe I haven't gone far enough through the installation process, but I've been to a website that showed the screen shots for this process, and I don't get the screen that allows me to install to a folder.

slinky

slinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
RE Dell tech support, no help there. They were googling my problem, just like I was.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are going to have to bite the bullet and do a full re-install.. Tough way to learn about backing up personal files, etc!!

Murray