Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

2nd Hard drive Format

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I just installed a 2nd hard drive onto my computer. It was from an old computer and it has windows and a bunch of files on it and i want to format this drive but i dont know how. i have formatted my master drive before but i forgot how i did it. so could someone give me a hand?

P.S. on the hard drive itself it says 12G but on the computer, it says 4G. Why is that? Also, at the moment it is formatted under FAT32, so that may be it.

any info is welcome.

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Is it BIOS or Windows or both that report the drive as 4GB?

If BIOS reports the drive as 4GB check if there is a jumper that's limiting drive capacity.

If it's just under Windows try the following:

1. Save any important files

2. Boot from your XP installation disk

3. You will get to a screen where you can delete and create partions. Make SURE that you select the correct drive and delete all partions. Then create a new maximum size partition and exit (F3)

4. On rebooting XP, open Windows explorer, click on "My Computer" and click on your various hard drives. One of them should throw a message to the effect "Drive "X" must be formatted before it can be accessed, would you like to format it now?"

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 31 August 2005 - 06:13 AM.